Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but of course my plan was to pull a camper with the truck at some point. GVWR on the tag says 8000. Found a potential camper that should be about 3193lbs, and 21 feet. Anyone with experience think I'd have trouble with that with my truck? Probably would be some stuff in the bed, too. If it's borderline, I'd rather be safer and just live with a shorter camper. I'm also inexperienced with towing, just to add to the fun.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
You would watch your GVWR carefully when the camper sits IN your pickup bed.

All you need to consider for a trailer against the truck GVWR is the tongue weight. Its probably 500-1000#.

Reactions: BearGills

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That makes sense, now that I imagine it. Ok. Thanks!

·
Administrator
62,364 Posts
The GVRW, is the maximum weight that can be carried on your trucks wheels. That does not include what is towed, only the actual weight the tongue adds to your truck.

Somewhere around here, we have some charts with the factory tow ratings for 77.

The factory tow package, included increased cooling, which i think was just a fan clutch. Sometimes a transmission cooler, and some times a bigger alternator.

I have towed over 7000 lbs with all my trucks, except for thr RC, which has done about 5000. They all do fine, except for the M887, which with the welder, sits close to 9000 to begin with (also only has a 318 for now).

With a good weight distributing reciever hitch (truck end class 4), and trailer brakes, you should easily be bale to tow 5000. More, and I would like to see an extra trans cooler.

In the US, generally trailers are setup for 10% of the weight on the hitch. So at 3193 dry, add a fem more hundred for water, and supplies, so say 3500, you will likely have about 350 lbs on the hitch (going towards your GVRW limit). With that, You are just touching if you really need a weight distributing hitch for the trailer. If it comes with one good, you do not need to have it adjusted much. If it does not, I think you would still be fine. Just measure how much the rear bumper drops when you hook it up. More then 4 inches or so I would definitely look at a WD hitch. No way to give any real numbers, as it depends on the condition of your springs.

Some step bumpers are rated for 500 lbs tounge weight, and 5000 lbs total trailer. I have exceeded that, but not comfortable doing it. I prefer a good WD receiver hitch. If you intend to use your step bumper, look for a weight rating, usually stamped by the ball mount. If not stamped, I would assume 300, and 3000 lbs total trailer.

Remember, we like pictures. ;)

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Meh. Someone swooped in and got it ahead of me.

But now I have notes.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Cooling, braking, lighting & visibility (mirrors) are other areas to consider in addition to pulling/handling the load.

Bucky

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cooling, braking, lighting & visibility (mirrors) are other areas to consider in addition to pulling/handling the load.

Bucky
Like transimission cooler, brake booster, maybe trailer brakes? Got pretty decent mirrors. Still have my steering issue, so I'm probably looking at borrowing a truck to get a camper back. I'd hate to lose them both in one trip.

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Got one.
Sky Tire Plant Plant community Mobile home
19 foot. It's like the truck. Mostly solid. Needs a couple things. Upside is I know how to do these things. (Still need a mechanic for the truck things, or a garage so I can be comfy and ponder while I do stuff REALLY slowly.)

Reactions: devildodge

·
Registered
909 Posts
Similar to ours
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Ours is 24 foot

·
Registered
909 Posts
The rock guard on the front window would be a good idea to find.

The propane tank cover is easy to find. We have an extra...in case the original breaks.

That should be an easy pull for your truck.

Nothing better than camping. Can not wait to head out.

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Camping hell? 27% of Oklahomans live in that.

Bucky
Beats being homeless. It's got all I need, except a place to store my tools and books.

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The rock guard on the front window would be a good idea to find.

The propane tank cover is easy to find. We have an extra...in case the original breaks.

That should be an easy pull for your truck.

Nothing better than camping. Can not wait to head out.
Yep. Now I have to find all the groups and boards for this camper for spare parts. There will likely be... improvisation. ;)

Reactions: devildodge

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
And roof repair. I was going to give it a good going over, since all older campers have or have had a leak at some point. Dude I bought it from said it had leaked (couple of ceiling panels gave it away), but he thought he'd fixed it. (I said to myself, that's gonna need redid ASAP.) I thought to myself, ya know you're always such a pessimist. Maybe the roof is ok. Don't put a tarp over it yet. So the next big rain here saw me soaked to the bone, putting a tarp on it. LOL

Anyway, I have a nice heavy tarp coming from the used billboard tarp people. Fingers crossed that I get a cool tarp. Last 2 were from Cracker Barrel boards. Big fried chicken photo on one, and the other is a skillet with "breakfast served all day" text. Once got one with a butcher shop ad, with a giant weiner... Little stupid things like that tickle me. If I get Kroger or breast cancer or hvac, I'll just put the blank side up. It's like the grown up versions of the quarter toy machines. Put in a quarter, see whatcha get.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Yeah get that roof taken car of. I dont know if all are made the same but when i helped my old man take his apart the bottom had no where for any moisture to go. Literally the trailer had rotted itself from the inside out. Whole aluminum shell wrapped completely around from top to bottom.

Neil

·
Premium Member
1978 W200
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And the winner is: Sky King Fireworks, Shrewsbury. Ah, you win some, you lose some.

Camper is covered now. Once the weather clears next week, I'll get up there and make a materials list. Roofing is one of my least favorite things to do, but a little camper isn't really that bad. Or so I think now. :LOL:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.