Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1989 ramcharger AW1004x4 recently overhauled 318 cid, bored .30 over, increased roller cam from a 258 to a 260, re-did heads, truned crank. also added new fuel pump (in tank), fuel filter, fuel pressure regulator, new fuel injectors, and new motor controller computer. less then 10,000 miles on engine, starts fine, idles fine but will not accelerate unless you just stomp on gas. tried everthing i know how to do can anyone help me pleeeeeeeze.

P.S. i added headers and full dual exhaust, but i did not go back with the o2 sensors, could this be my problem.

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
I would say that your lack of o2 sensors like you said is your problem.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
um weird thought. how hot is engine running? maybe you should get out and check to see if engine feels exceptionaly hot.

buddie had a stuck thermostat. got so hot it boiled most of fuel outta fuel bowls (i kow ya got TBI but still) we used wet rags and a fine mist but it still took 5 hours before engine was cool enough to touch. :eek:

id also check and confirm fuel pressure you should be in 15psi area.

where is your filter located?

if u can access it easy, disconnect hose from it after the filter. you ll need to relieve fuel pressure according to dodge manual. on my car proper procedure is starting engine and unplugging fuel pump power supply and letting engine die out. sounds crude but its factory method for my car. check with dodge book to see if there is a relief valve any where. much easier.

anyways, have a buddy flip on key while you hold container to end of filter. see how much flow you are getting over a set period of seconds.

then pull filter and have buddy flip key back on for same length of time. compare volume of gasoline flowed into container or jar. if there is a big differenec your filter is plugged.

if barely any fuel flows either way, your pump is bad.

could be a large piece of dirt or rust broke free and damaged your new components.

you could also compare flow up near tbi unit which would indicate a restriction in line between tbi and filter.

have you checked the throttle position sensor? depending on specific model it either puts out 5 volts -0 volts or 0volts-5 volts as throttle shaft rotates. check with manual.

trouble shooting can be much easier with a good manual such as the FSM (factory service manual)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts