Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know this is a chevy question but I have to ask any how. I'm looking at buying a 93 Chevy c-3500 Turbo diesel. The problem I,ve been told that it has a blown turbo. It will not start the crank case is full of fuel oil. I was told that it was running fine driving down the freeway made a pop noise. Then blew a ton of black smoke and costed to a stop and hasent runn cince. My question is how do I verify a bad turbo without starting it. What else could be dammaged by the turbo blowing. Any help would be apreciated Wyatt 8)

·
Registered
29,666 Posts
well for one thing a blown turbo will not stop it from running / it should still run fine just no power without the turbo boost / when a turbo blows its because of lack of oil or maintanace / if this thing blew its junk

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
You'll have to remove the turbo and take a look inside.
Something else caused the crank case to fill with fuel. It's likely that it's a bad injector or pump. Treat this as a standard engine rebuild.

Ed

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
hmm how to check for a bad turbo

check for oil and carbon on the compressor side. its aluminum and not hooked to exhaust. also oil in intake and such.

try to spin compressor impeller. does it move freely?

check for side play by moving it side to side.

there will be alittle play due to bearing clearances. but shouldnt be too much. excess play allows impeller to make contake with compressor housing, there for junking your turbo. it may not even be considered for core value if thats the case.

o well, upgrade time LOL.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Run away

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Why run if I can get the truck for $4000 below blue book and fix it with new injectors. Thats what im guessing off of the post from RXT. I'll need to check the engine and talk to a diesel mechanic that owes money :p But any more advise is apreaciated. Thanx Wyatt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.