Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anyone know off hand what the difference between chevy and dodge center to center distance between the spring center bolts is?

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
One inch. The Chevy is narrower.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info!

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
soo, if i just pull the front of the springs in to make up the difference will it put too much bind on the shackle bushings? is there even room between the u bolts to angle the springs far enough to make it work?

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i was also checking out PJTPW's fabbed up front spring hangers and top shackle mounts, but that may be a little more work than i want to get into right now. oh, by the way, the reason i am doing this is my stock dodge housing is not straight anymore. and its the "old" style where the u bolts go through cast plates on the bottom of the axle, i like chevys u bolt setup much better. and i have two chevy housings with the thick wall tubes. one already set up with a new auburn and 4:10s.

·
Registered
291 Posts
can't you just move the perches?
I know thats not possible on a dodge axle because of the passenger side perch being almost a part of the pumpkin, but aren't chevy's different?
I was also wondering, I have Chevy knuckles on my dodge D44, so will a chevy tierod be too long? This is wat i thought, so i had one shortened 2", but that one seems too short now. sounds like a wacky question, i guess

·
Premium Member
5,026 Posts
I wouldn't pull in the springs. That is going to put them in a horrible bind, and probably use up the spring bushings in no time.

The passenger side perch is part of the diff housing, so no moving that. What I did was move the driver's site perch out 1". This moved the whole axle over to the right an inch, but there's been no ill effects from that.

Pics of this project are at this link.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts