Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know Chevy.... :-[ About how much does it cost to get the fuel distributor rebuilt? My uncle bought a 93 C-3500 with the 6.5 engine. (I'm the mechanic in the family so I cought this one) The front seal is leaking on the pump the crank case is full of fuel. I got Quoted 500-550 for a standard rebuild 1K if it needs the upper end. Is this a good price or am I getting hosed? ??? ::) Wyatt

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
In '93, the 6.5L GM diesel was only in it's second year of production. It differed from the older 6.2 which it replaced, in displacement.

A 93 6.5L came with a Stanadyne mechanical fuel distribution pump.

From what I understand of them, they are a PIA to rebuild and it's suggested you have a professional diesel tech trained in pump repair, rebuild the pump. You might want to check your options. I'm told that the 6.2 pump fits the 6.5 and later 6.2 pumps were slightly better. There is also an electronically controlled injection pump which is capable of making more power along with other assorted parts.

Ed

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the fuel distributor is a PIA I did one in tech school about 10 years ago. I'm planing to have it redone profesionaly but at the same time I dont want to get raped on the rebuild. This one has some electric stuf conected. From what I was told is the later models with the electronics are all throttle control. Theres no cables hooked to the pump. Any help is apreciated Wyatt

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
We have five of them in our fleet at work and they suck. I had a mechanical (6.2)exchanged for $400 about 8 yrs. ago. All of our 6.5 's have been replaced at least once already. We get exchange pumps because it's not worth trying to do them ourselves. The electronic timing has to be calibrated after installation for a reference. If yours has a lot of miles/hrs. on it, I would recommend an exchange to save yourself a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok HELP!!!! I didnt pull the pump on this one my uncle did while I was at work. So I didnt see the position of the pump when it came out. Now Ive got to put it back together theres 2 ways it will go back together. One has an oblong hole the other has a round one. Witch does the pump go through?????? Wyatt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts