Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 9 1/4 is beginning to jitter, shake, and stutter. It also makes some noise. It may only need to have the bearings adjusted. But I began to ask around when this problem started, and I can get a 12 Bolt for $450 or so.

Has anyone done this? And what modifications are necessary to make it work (or will it bolt right in and be drivable)? I wondered if the leaf springs would seat correctly.

Secondly, will it be hard to lift my 82 RC in the future if I have this Rear End?

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
Chrysler's 9 1/4 is stronger and has a larger ring gear then Chevy's 12 bolt axle has. I bet if you look around you can get a 9 1/4 way cheaper then $450. I think even $450 is too high for a 12 bolt. The 12 bolt and 10 bolt GM axles have a history of the C-clips letting go. I don't know this for a fact but i've read that the 9 1/4 has the same axle shaft size as a Dana 60. As far as the 12 bolt being a bolt in, its not. Different spring pad widths and the leaf springs are wider on Chevy's and also the parking brake mechanism won't hook up.

·
3,753 Posts
A 12 bolt is a step down in strength,like chry300 said it won't fit either. $450 is too much for one also. Look for another 9.25, or find a 60 or rebuild the one you have.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
I won't even entertain this question

·
Registered
328 Posts
Chevy 12 bolt in a Dodge? What?! Why?! 9/14 is stronger, better, and cheaper to get out of a salvage yard. Or fix the one you have.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
now the 14 bolt is a different story, Its worth the effort to put in. The 12 bolt is a step backwards in strength and not worth the effort to make it work

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
DDGRC84 said:
maybe he meant to say 14 bolt...

Jake
I knew that mind reading class i was offered at the CIA was important, i guess my Dad was right again i should have taken that class

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
DDGRC84 said:
see, if you had, you wouldn't be where you are now

Jake
Yeah you're right i would be on some supermodel site reading there minds, oh man it would be torture but the benefits of the massive headaces would be well worth it i think, i hope.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.