Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to quick check the operation of the fuel pump on a tbi equipped truck?

Thanks.
Ted

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
pull a fuel line off an turn it on. if it pumps fuel its working. or use a mulitmeter from the hot line to the pos connection. do the same fore the neg to the ground.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
if its an electric he wont need to turn it over. once you apply power it starts pumping. just put the keys in the on position

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
willy J said:
if its an electric he wont need to turn it over. once you apply power it starts pumping. just put the keys in the on position
not necessarily, i have had a few vehicles with electric fuel pumps and they wouldnt spray unless engine was turning over

eric

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I pulled the inlet off the throttle body and put it so I caould se it between the cowl and hood, then Ii even cranked it over, nothing. I can hear the relay click, though.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
ok so it is narrowed down a bit.

now trace your fuel line back, you will find a pressure regualtor on it, unhook inlet line before this and then try it again see if it is spraying before regulator, if so probalby a bad regulator, if not then it may be either the pump itself or a plugged line or filter.

eric

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol, yea, it's about a half full ;D

You guys must have a camera on me (I got your IM Don, thanks). I was just out checking the wiring and I checked the inlet to the filter. No fuel.

I only found a filter located right near the proportioning valve. I saw nothing else along the lines all the way back to the tank. Any idea where the regulator is....maybe above the tank? I see nothing about it in the fsm?

It also looks like there is a filter at the bottom of the fuel pump (in the tank.)

I'm going to go out and see if I missed the regulator along the lines some where.

I appreciate the help,

Ted

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Something else, when I disconnected the inlet hose from the filter, a lot of gas came out of the filter.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whatever!?!

I just tried starting it (after messing around with wires and stuff) and the damn thing started up. Great, now I've got an intermittant problem somewhere along the line.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
cooper30 said:
Whatever!?!

I just tried starting it (after messing around with wires and stuff) and the damn thing started up. Great, now I've got an intermittant problem somewhere along the line.
actually, i dont think it is an intermittent problem, your post right before this one may have had your problem in it.

key there, no fuel after filter, however, you unhooked filter and fuel flowed back out of it, sounds like oyu have a clogged filter. try replacing it and see if ti doesnt help

eric

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Eric.

After thought....When I unhooked the filter, I took the line off coming from the tank (inlet line). Shouldn't fuel have come out of that line when I cranked it over?

Something else I did was pulled the connector off the relay to make sure I had 12v with the key on. Maybe I had an open there that I "fixed".

Thanks again :)

·
7,995 Posts
If this is on your 1990 then the fuel pump will only come on for about 3 seconds when the key is turned to the on position and then it will shut down. This is controlled by the computer. Once the computer sees pulses from the distrbutor it will turn the pump back on. Check your error codes in the computer and see if a code 11 comes up...if it does than you have a bad pickup in the distributor. You might still have a bad pickup even without the code 11 or a problem with the Fuel pump/ASD relay or wiring or the fuel pump.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Chump. I checked the codes and now all I have is 12, 37, and 55...so nothing there. Thing is, I haven't driven it yet. I should be able to get back on the road this afternoon, so I'll see how it goes.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, so maybe (fingers crossed) that was the problem. I'm not a fan of "shotgun troubleshooting", but it's a filter, so it won't hurt to replace it anyway.

Thanks for the info about how the fuel pump works. I appreciate it.

Ted

·
7,995 Posts
cooper30 said:
Thanks Chump. I checked the codes and now all I have is 12, 37, and 55...so nothing there. Thing is, I haven't driven it yet. I should be able to get back on the road this afternoon, so I'll see how it goes.

I'm going to replace the fuel filter tomorrow, so maybe (fingers crossed) that was the problem. I'm not a fan of "shotgun troubleshooting", but it's a filter, so it won't hurt to replace it anyway.

Thanks for the info about how the fuel pump works. I appreciate it.

Ted
Ted, do one more thing. Disconnect the battery cable for a few minutes to clear your error codes, then reconnect it. If you start having problems again, recheck the codes and get back to me. This is a test to see if the Code 11 appears. It's kinda a long story on this Code 11, I'll have to write up a how to on it or an FAQ.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
okay chump is the man here. i did not know about the pulse. most pumps (non-mopar) an aftermarket pumps ive used pump when power is appied. the filter in the tank is a pick up filter. it acts like an oil pump screen. they get REAL nasty after 10-15 years

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Don, Eric, Stevo, thank you all for your help. :)

I will be replacing the fuel filter today and I'll disconnect the battery and clear everything. I hope there's no more problems, but if there are, I will let you know what codes come up.

Ted

·
Registered
639 Posts
I replaced mine this past weekend, did the trick. Funny thing is, my pump keeps running when the key is on and doesn't shut down. I took off what i thought was asd relay, but the thing kept going. So I took off ALL the relays along the side, and the thing STILL kept running. wierd. Anyway, good luck with the project, at least you have it narrowed down to a few possibilites. A weak fuel pump will drive you crazy thinking there is something wrong with the sensors or computer or timing.

James

1 - 20 of 26 Posts