Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have a 2.5" rancho kit which consists of front springs and rear 2.5" blocks. The tires on my truck told me that they have had enough so i'm forced to upgrade (darn!!! ;D)

I really dont want to stack blocks so i'm looking for some cheap/safe options to lift the rear, and the pros and cons to each.

The ones i can think of are:

add-a-leaf's...but i'd really like to avoid the harsh ride that comes along with them.

having the rear springs re-arched with an extra 2.5" of bend in them....but will the bend in them stay? Or am i gonna be back to stock height in 6 months?

having new blocks made being 2.5" taller then stock....added axle wrap?

any input on this would be great...i kinda need to get this truck lifted so i can put the tires on it.

-Nick

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
hey nick,

have you done a shackle flip yet? if not then i would suggest doing it and keeping your lift springs that are in there now.

the shackle flip can be done for the price of 8 new bolts, nuts, and washers, and whatever a j/y will charge you for a set of front brackets off of a set of rear springs ($10-50), kind of hard to beat 2-4 inches of lift for under $60.

just my opinion

eric

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
isn't there some welding involved with a shackle flip? I dont have a welder or know how to weld :(

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Just take it over to UTI, they do all kinds of that stuff up there for cheap...at least they used to. Just talk to some of the kids in school ;D

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
If you use the stock bracket from the front of the springs I think all you need to do is drill 1 or 2 holes.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wouldn't that give me some funky driveline angles?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
AZ-Trailduster said:
wouldn't that give me some funky driveline angles?
Add a leaves really aren't that bad. I've got 2 in the rear, and it's stiff, but not rock hard. :)
-Steve C.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
are add-a-leaves road tripable?

i'm gonna be putting alot of long miles on this truck here pretty soon.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
AZ-Trailduster said:
are add-a-leaves road tripable?

i'm gonna be putting alot of long miles on this truck here pretty soon.
I drove my '77 home all the way from Grass Valley Ca. (4hrs.)unloaded, and it wasn't bad. After I put 450lbs. of tools/spare parts, and 10 gallons of spare fuel, and the rest of my gear in the bed, it rides like a cadilac.
-Steve C.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
okay, i'm sold...where do i get them? I'm not having any luck with summit

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
I've got add a leaves in the rear of my RC and I drive that thing all over most of texas. It still rides pretty good. Go to your local parts store and order a set of rancho add a leaves.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts
RAMMAN4 said:
I've got add a leaves in the rear of my RC and I drive that thing all over most of texas. It still rides pretty good. Go to your local parts store and order a set of rancho add a leaves.
But, you fail to mention the 2000 lbs of "extra" weight you're packin'.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
It's just a little extra weight. My RC only weighs 6700 pounds and the tools in the back are probably worth more than the truck is. ;D

·
Super Moderator
8,449 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sorry to chime in here but would the shackle flip work in my 85 r/c with stock suspention to get rid of the spring sag in the rear?It looks stupid sagging like it is lol.

Mike.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Firechicken said:
Sorry to chime in here but would the shackle flip work in my 85 r/c with stock suspention to get rid of the spring sag in the rear?It looks stupid sagging like it is lol.

Mike.
it wont fix your springs, but it will lift the back end up a bit and possibly make it set level again

eric

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lol thanks eric thats all I want to do just get her up a wee bit to be level.

Mike.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.