Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 84 ram d150 2wd with a 318 with every thing stock what can i do thats cheap to give me a little more horse power?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
dual exhausts, open filament air filter, 4bbl carb and manifold.

i realize that all of these options aren't terribly cheap, but they are a good place to start.

eric

·
Registered
11,632 Posts
Headers are a plus and add HP as well. If it's a 2bbl change to 4bbl and alum. intake. Dual it out helps. Add a cam and lifter set. But just as intenseimages said it isn't really cheep. If you wanna play, you gotta pay! ;D

·
Registered
70 Posts
I take it your looking for cheaper ways than that stuff, all you need to do is increase air and increase spark. Start with some larger guage spark plug wires, better plugs, aftermarket coil, and aftermarket cap and rotor set. Then get a K&N air filter and you should notice a gain in power. We're not talking huge amounts but some.

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
you want cheap here is cheap but you gotta do all the work yourself cause that is how it stays cheap. first reduce weight cut out anything you dont need less crap to soak up horses to lug. match port your exhust to your heads, port an polish your heads yourself (its not hard its time consuming an requires patience. rebuild your carb an put in bigger jets or drill out the current ones. use higher octane gas. an play with your timing, tune up all the electrical an other components. that should do it for less than a 150 bucks. (not including new gaskets for pullin the heads an exhaust

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Get rid of those stock 3:23 gears in the diff ! ! LOL :-\
Don

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
get rid of the 3:23 gears? i dont think i even have 3:23 gears

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
If your truck is anything like my RC, it probably has 3:21 gears. I've done a few mods to my motor, and it's always lead back to the same thing, Small blocks thrive on revs. You can't use these revs if you have high gearing. I'm gonna dump my gears as soon as I can for lower ones. It's not cheap, but it's something to think about. 3:21's really suck :(

Dan

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
how low should i go?? and how much does it cost

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
That all depends on what you're doing with the truck, since it sounds like you want a mild performer, 3:55s should be ok. You could go to something like 3:73's, but that might affect gas mileage a bit. 4:10s are gonna be way to low unless you put bigger tires on, or need serious low end torque for towing or racing. As for price, I can't honestly remember what I was looking at, but since you only have a 2wd, and don't have 2 pumpkins to buy gears for, it probably won't be too terribly bad. I'm sure someone else will be able to shed a little more light on the cost issue.

Dan

·
Registered
36 Posts
One can punch out the Cat. expect to spend around 3 hours or more on this. cut with sawzaw behind the cat and use rebar or a socket long extention and a hammer to take care of business. Go to autoparts store buy a piece of muffler pipe swedged open large on both ends an install using muffler clamps. A trip to your local friendly muffershop will help you to open up the inserted piece.
Tim
90 RC 318 Overdrive

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah i think im going to punch out my cat. but the rear end how hard is it to replace the gears and what will a lower gear do

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
E-Bay = Gears {cool}
Don

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Gears are not something I'd want to do myself. If you don't have much experience with that sort of thing, I would take it to a shop.
Gears basically magnify your engine's power. With lower gears, your engine will rev higher in relation to tire speed. I'm in a bit of a hurry right now, so I'm sure someone will give you a better explaination.

Dan

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
BigOlDodge said:
yeah i think im going to punch out my cat. but the rear end how hard is it to replace the gears and what will a lower gear do
that just sounds wrong.......................

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
IMHO: Whatever you want to do with the truck, you are still going to have to change gears to take advantage of anything else you might do. (assuming the gears are stock factory)
Don

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well its a 318 2 barrel its in the shop being rebuilt right now so i cant look at the ratio (stupid jump and sticky lifter) and i want power for rosting the tires

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ohh yeah if i get rid of my stock gears in the rear diff do i have to swap trannys? for the same gear ratio

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
No, your trans is fine, but you might consider a little beef there too if you are in to toasting the tires.
There are lots of threads on trans mods. Just start searching back.
ps: think the only way you are going to do any tire roasting is with something more than a 318 ! :-\
Don

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.