Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for the next fun project, how could a guy get AC IN A W150 reg cab on the cheap?
Would a compressor from a 90+ fit?

I’ve read plent on vintage air, but that adds up to about $1500 plus.
Can’t find an old truck with the system, but I thought if I can get most the components, and just the air/heat/defrost from vintage air, a guy might be able to set it all up pretty cheap

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
Cheapest way is the way I did it - find a donor vehicle and take the parts. It's a bit of work but it works. I did use a new compressor, etc, but the air handler, switches, etc were all salvage.

·
Registered
649 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
Cheapest way is the way I did it - find a donor vehicle and take the parts. It's a bit of work but it works. I did use a new compressor, etc, but the air handler, switches, etc were all salvage.
+1

I am installing AC in my 76 d100 and 82 RC by pulling factory underhood components, finding a used unerash AC unit, and getting all new lines and converting to R134A. So far I have about $600 all told for all the hardware for both trucks. I just need time to set it all up.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
roll winders down drive 55

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
dodge82273 said:
roll winders down drive 55
That doesn't help defrost in the winter ;) which was more my issue with plowing than summer heat.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
I have the a/c clutch unplugged on the plow truck , I use a tank type block heater ( faster hotter ?) and let it warm up a few mins ... usually have the window open plowing , heat on full ...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Main reason I ask is my blower fans going shot, barely heats, switches are all sticky and broken, so I use a Chanel-lock to turn it on or off.
The (hopeful) plan, is to relocate the heater controls downward to where the radio is supposed to be, then find a dodge touchscreen with a backup cam and mount that where the heater controls are.

I think that would really modernize the look of the interior, and ac just makes it all that much more pleasant to drive.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
So for the next fun project, how could a guy get AC IN A W150 reg cab on the cheap?

Can't find an old truck with the system, but I thought if I can get most the components...
Keep looking. I never look for AC trucks, and I ended up with two by random chance. So now I have two setups ('90 gas, and '89 diesel) that I will hang onto for the future.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ll have to keep an eye out. I wonder how it is retrofitting something from a newer truck?

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
I'll have to keep an eye out. I wonder how it is retrofitting something from a newer truck?
For dash innards, up thru '93 should be simple enough. I don't know what else can be made to fit... it seems the dashes and airhandlers got really big on newer trucks.

Condensor and compressor... are probably the easier things to update.

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
Rabbit929 said:
Any compressor can fit, you just need the brackets for it, and the engine you have. Brackets for a magnum engine will not work easy with yours, it would take a basic re-do of the whole front end of your engine. An 80's setup, you will need all the pulleys, and brackets, along with the compressor. If you find the parts in a junk yard, get the hoses, it is likely cheaper to get new hoses put on the fittings, then buying all new.

I've read plent on vintage air, but that adds up to about $1500 plus.
Can't find an old truck with the system, but I thought if I can get most the components, and just the air/heat/defrost from vintage air, a guy might be able to set it all up pretty cheap
Keep us updated on your journey, many of us have contemplated adding AC, just have too many other priorities.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SuperBurban said:
Any compressor can fit, you just need the brackets for it, and the engine you have. Brackets for a magnum engine will not work easy with yours, it would take a basic re-do of the whole front end of your engine. An 80's setup, you will need all the pulleys, and brackets, along with the compressor. If you find the parts in a junk yard, get the hoses, it is likely cheaper to get new hoses put on the fittings, then buying all new.

Keep us updated on your journey, many of us have contemplated adding AC, just have too many other priorities.
I will! It may be quite awhile as I'm pretty broke at this point, but eventually I think it would be an awesome project.

·
Administrator
62,315 Posts
I understand. I have projects that have been in the works for many years now.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
SuperBurban said:
I understand. I have projects that have been in the works for many years now.
Yes, and now that she runs and drives good I might try my hand at dent removal. As everyone wants an arm and a leg for a rusted out door in North Dakota.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mopar sold accessory retrofit A/C kits that were all OEM parts, from at least the early 1980's. I was a factory rep then and sold them. Ram truck kits were common. A good technician could install this in about 4 hours IIRC. So a wrecking yard salvage project can be done. See if you can find a friend or such in a warm weather state that has good wrecking yards?
The real trouble part is the connector for the vacuum lines in the dash which disintegrate if you look at them; there are some workarounds on this site I believe.
https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/ is a good source if you want to change over to the modern Sanden style rotary compressor.
Mark

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
michiganhotrod1 said:
Mopar sold accessory retrofit A/C kits that were all OEM parts, from at least the early 1980's. I was a factory rep then and sold them. Ram truck kits were common. A good technician could install this in about 4 hours IIRC. So a wrecking yard salvage project can be done. See if you can find a friend or such in a warm weather state that has good wrecking yards?
The real trouble part is the connector for the vacuum lines in the dash which disintegrate if you look at them; there are some workarounds on this site I believe.
https://www.bouchillonperformance.com/ is a good source if you want to change over to the modern Sanden style rotary compressor.
Mark
Thank you! I was thinking if it gives me too much trouble, I'd look into the vintageair box and controls, because then it's all electronically controlled servo motors for the blend doors. Talking 500 plus just for that, but if I can get everything else for cheap, a guy might not have to rely on vacuum at all.
If i go with vacuum, I'd have to put it in fresh with new hoses of a better composition so I don't have to struggle with finding the leak.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.