Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, got a question for someone. I just started getting into chat and was wondering if there was a way to put something up that would tell you how many people were in chat?
Think it might pick it up a bit if people could see that there are already people in there rather then having to get it up and running just to see nobody else there.
If there already is a way to tell, could you slap me with it please? (prob. right in front of me!! ;D )
Chris

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
well i'm no computer genious oor anything but just an idea couldn't you maybe get some sort of chatbot to monitor the room that could maybe report it back to the site and update everyonce in a while may be hard but just a thought because many chat rooms have the censors and stuff liek that

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
RCC_SaMiaM said:
I have not figured out a reliable way to do that yet, but it is something I have been wanting for a long time. Someday I will have it.
I have no idea how it would be done, I just remember thhat yahell had it for some of the groups I was in. Of course that was their own chat setup, not IRC. How many people go through here vs using IRC directly? Would it be worth it to try listing just the ones chatting through the site?. Dunno, think I am better at questions than at answers!! ;D
Chris

·
Administrator
26,854 Posts
well, to have a chat box you have to install it on the IRC server you are using, which we can not do that.

It wouldn't be worth listing site users since a majority use mIRC.

I did figure out how to do it, kind of through mIRC, but that means you have to have mIRC up all of the time, and if my computer crashed it wouldn't show.

I am learning PHP, and I will see if it is possible to connect to an IRC server through php. Maybe then I can setup a crontab to automatically connect to the server every 5 minutes and list who is in there.

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh man I wish I was the geek I used to be!! ;D

RCC_SaMiaM said:
well, to have a chat box you have to install it on the IRC server you are using, which we can not do that.

It wouldn't be worth listing site users since a majority use mIRC.

I did figure out how to do it, kind of through mIRC, but that means you have to have mIRC up all of the time, and if my computer crashed it wouldn't show.

I am learning PHP, and I will see if it is possible to connect to an IRC server through php. Maybe then I can setup a crontab to automatically connect to the server every 5 minutes and list who is in there.
Ok, so if I understand you right (doubtful ;D ) At this time it is not really possible to track the people who go directly through mirc, and tracking the people going thru the board isn't worth the hassle because of how few there are?? (sounds right to me) I got the last line clearly but a bit woosy on the rest of it. 15 years ago I could have helped you set it all up! But I am not the computer geek I used to be. :\'( Damn! And to think I help a friend get the 3rd biggest bbs/inet portal in the state up and running! No big deal Sam, was just an idea. BTW, how much time do you put into this whole site a day WITHOUT looking into all the piddly stuff people (like me ) keep coming up with?? Do you ever get to sleep??
Chris

·
Registered
10,936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 - 8 of 8 Posts