Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been chasing a water leak for a few weeks now. We have had a record rainfall for the last month or so and I noticed it had started to leak slightly on the floorboard on the driver and passenger side. I pulled the cowl and it had some mild debris so I hit it with the shop vac and sucked up leaves, sticks, pine needles, a guitar pick, and a few razor blades(seriously). I checked for the cowl cracks, and did a water test for the windshield seal and thought I was good to go. Had a shower a few days later and laid some towels down to assure it was fixed. Well it's not, next morning floor and towels were soaked, I wrung out the towels and easily had a half gallon of water in them, floors were drenched. It went backward, from a slight leak to a full blown drenching. My first thought I cleaned the cowl and that made it worse so after checking around on RCC I thought to try cleaning the fender drain. I took off both kick panels and I don't see how exactly do you clean them out. I don't see them period, where are they?

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
open the door part way , look in there . the other place that leaks , the rain gutter along the roof edge , its spot welded then seam sealed , the seam sealer dries out , water runs inside the A pillar into the dash , then floor . there are also seam sealed welds under the cowl corners

·
Registered
86 Posts
You are exactly dead on with the rain gutter leak. I chased that leak for 2 years and never would have believed the rain gutter could be the source of the leak. I live in AZ. and we don't get rain for months on end so it's hard to find leaks when you don't drive the vehicle much. One day when I washed the Ram and climbed up on a ladder to dry the roof I found a little hole in the seam sealer on the passenger side above the glove box area. Easy fix.
Jim

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
do not use silicone anything on a body panel.  Use 3m 5200 marine sealant instead.  No silicone and sticks better and UV stable and is paintable after 7 days.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
pull each kick panel and dig out the SH!T , also the windshield gasket is know to leak
That was my question. where exactly do you access it? I pulled the kick panels and just have sheet metal with no access to the channel unless I'm missing something

·
Registered
68 Posts
I found leak by pouring water in cowl where wiper linkage is water drains out tru channel to ground but also leaks inside on driver n pass there are no leaves or shit all clean any ideas why also leaks inside

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
o.k. water runs down hill , so starting at the TOP the roof , sheetmetal pannel is spotwelded to rain gutter in the channel , THEN seam sealed , water gets thru old dry cracked sealer , runs INSIDE the post into dash .The obvious windshield rubber ....  The cowl , under the edge of the fenders , there is a seam with somekinda rubbery tape over it , the tape dries out , water gets into kick pannel ,  PLUS this area is subject to stress cracking ... if you LOOK behind fernder , by opening the door looking in hinge area + forward , you will see a BOX running down the cab from the cowl , at its bottom you will see a cut/split weep hole the inside of that box gets filled with leaves and shit. The door , it has window seal/wipers water runs into door , dribbles out the bottom drains , onto rocker pannel , bad door seals let water into cab  floor ....... roof lights? bed light? 2 way radio antenna ?  I'll see if I can get a photo or 2  of parted out , opened up truck here so ya can SEE where to look ...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.