Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The voltage guage on my 83 RC (aftermarket auto meter) gets down below 12 volts quite a bit and when you turn the blinker the needle bounces down to around 10 volts everytime it blinks. I have went out with a meter with it running and checked at the battery and do not get these symptoms on that end. I have checked the bulkhead connector on the firewall and found no evident problems there. When at low rpms the wipers go very slow and jerk, also the lights get a little dim. If anyone has had similar troubles or has some advice I would love to hear it. Electrical is a real weak point for me and I don't have a clue where to start on this one.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Not familiar with newer RC's but here are some Quick and easy checks that come to mind:

1. Do you have the same voltage at the firewall connector as you do at the alternator output?

2. What about at the passenger side of the firewall?

3. Check that your battery cables are clean at the posts, and also that the clamps where they mate with the stranded cable are CLEAN.

Mac

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
Check your voltage regulator as well, make sure the back of it is not corroded, and the firewall where it mounts is not either. scrub it with a wire brush and reinstall it. You might also just replace it, they are about $10.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have not compared the connector and the alternator output, will give that a try. I did check both sides of the firewall connector and the voltage is the same on both sides. Battery and cables are new so I have that one out of the way.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Check to make sure your block is well grounded to the body and frame, too.

Danimal said:
Have not compared the connector and the alternator output, will give that a try. I did check both sides of the firewall connector and the voltage is the same on both sides. Battery and cables are new so I have that one out of the way.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Like everyone else said, it sounds like a grounding problem. Either at the batery-engine-body, or the regulator.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i'm having the same problem with my 77 power wagon so i know the feeling.. i have replaced EVERYTHING under the hood and checked everything several times and have found no problem otherwise...i will be going GROUND HAPPY here shortly and grounding everything that i can ground so that if it is a ground issue it wont be for long. what you could do also is put a higher amperage alt in it to keep the battery charged at idle.... thats what had to happen with my 71 dart after i put he H4 halogen headlights in and it worked... no charging problem.... as soon as i can afford to i will be putting in a custom built alt in my PW so i can solve this problem PERMANENTLY! hope this helps at all....

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Careful with the higher amp alt on a mopar which uses the amp gauge in the dash. If you have too much resistance in there, you could melt down your gauge and possibly your dash.

Just some free advice.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
i have already replaced the amp guage with an aftermarket BELOW the dash so thats not an issue anymore..

·
Registered
73 Posts
Also is the battery any good under load?

·
7,995 Posts
Danimal said:
The voltage guage on my 83 RC (aftermarket auto meter) gets down below 12 volts quite a bit and when you turn the blinker the needle bounces down to around 10 volts everytime it blinks. I have went out with a meter with it running and checked at the battery and do not get these symptoms on that end. I have checked the bulkhead connector on the firewall and found no evident problems there. When at low rpms the wipers go very slow and jerk, also the lights get a little dim. If anyone has had similar troubles or has some advice I would love to hear it. Electrical is a real weak point for me and I don't have a clue where to start on this one.
Thanks!
Make sure you are testing the voltages under the exact same conditions as you are having the problems with. Like if the headlights are on and your foot is on the brake and your stereo is cranked, etc. Have the charging system/alternator checked for proper output(Amps)...you may have a bad diode in the alternator. Most auto parts stores will do this for free right on the truck.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
when i go to put in the new alt i will be re wireing the amp guage... new wires all the way so that wont be an issue

1 - 13 of 13 Posts