Dodge RamCharger Central banner

Charging Air Conditioning

3K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Trailduster_Rulz 
#1 ·
Howdy,
I need to get my AC charged up on my 76 RC. I am currently set up for the old style R12. Don't want to do it myself.

I have heard of conversions to the new refrigerant. Am I required to get a conversion? I would rather keep the old style in there if I can.

Has anyone here done or had done a conversion to the new refrigerant? If so, how much did it cost and was it any better, worse, or no difference?

Thanks,
Mac

#2 ·
You're not require to upgrade to the R-134, but the old R-12 is very expensive, and only a certified shop can charge it for you. I haven't done the conversion myself, but I know a few people who have. They used the kit you can buy at Pep Boys, Autozone, etc., that costs around $35, and were very happy with the results. I know I had a website bookmarked with a conversion kit install "how-to", but I can't seem to find it. If I do, I'll post the link.

#4 ·
I've heard many people that have done the conversion and were very happy with it; I thought there was a complete how to on the RamCharger A/C systems and tips here somewhere ( I haven't gone to verify) My preference would be to follow the tips, adjusting sensors, cleaning suitcase.. etc.. but stay with the R12.. and you should be able to hang meat in there.
Aaron

#5 ·
I switched to 134 when I put my a/c together. It works great, comes out ice cold. :)

I had the big AC post bookmarked, but I am guessing it disappeared since all it says is that thread cannot be found..... Oh well, maybe Sam has it archived somewhere.

#6 ·
AC How To was not there when I looked, but I could have missed it.

Mac

awyseguy said:
I've heard many people that have done the conversion and were very happy with it; I thought there was a complete how to on the RamCharger A/C systems and tips here somewhere ( I haven't gone to verify) My preference would be to follow the tips, adjusting sensors, cleaning suitcase.. etc.. but stay with the R12.. and you should be able to hang meat in there.
Aaron

#7 ·
Maybe it's time to convert. I will ponder this for a while.
Thanks for the input.

Mac

dodge8564 said:
I switched to 134 when I put my a/c together. It works great, comes out ice cold. :)

I had the big AC post bookmarked, but I am guessing it disappeared since all it says is that thread cannot be found..... Oh well, maybe Sam has it archived somewhere.

#8 ·
I converted on my car. Wasn't hard, only took 5 minutes to do. R-134 is just as cold, but safer for the environment and a bunch cheaper too.

#9 ·
Hell, what do I care about the environment, I'm 47 and drive a gas guzzling 440 RC for chrissakes! 8) I don't have too many good years left, and a global warming is starting to sound pretty good to me!

Seriously, as long as the new stuff works well and is not a real hassle, I am open to it. Thanks for the advice.

Mac

Dodge 85 RC said:
I converted on my car. Wasn't hard, only took 5 minutes to do. R-134 is just as cold, but safer for the environment and a bunch cheaper too.

#10 ·
If anyone is interested in re-charging a R-12 A/C, I have 4-1 lb cans of R-12 and the manifold adapter, I would give up cheap.
The '98 engine I put in my RC uses the R-134, and I don't have any use for it. I considered keeping the R-12 unit, but the hassle of getting the old oil out, and the fact that the R134
has smaller molecules, and leaks easier, made it more attractive to go with the new unit.

#11 ·
macario said:
Thanks, I would be interested in that info.

I've seen the kits but haven't looked into them.
I haven't been able to find that link. I probably deleted it for some unknown reason (which is odd, because I plan on converting over one of my own vehicles). Sorry.

#14 ·
i heard that you need different seals tho...is that true?

#15 ·
The seals are the same whether R-12 or R-134A. most of the older dodges use a steel gasket rather than o-ring type seals and it wouldn't be a dum idea to a gasket set and reseal the whole system and install a new reciever/dryer when doing the retrofit to R-134A. I installed 134 in my RC 6 years ago and haven't had any real problems other the the JY compressor I bought went bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.