Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so, I found about a 1/4 inch layer of charcoal in my new edelbrock. Slanted mind suggested to put a inline fuel filter inbetween the can and the carb, thats a great idea but I would also like to get them functioning. Maybe??

I would just plug them off like I read in the other threads but I reside in the wonderfull state of california, and they wouldn't go for that.

So the question in my mind is were to get new canisters. If I go to the junk yard how do I know there any good. The small vacum line is currently causing a vacum leak, seems like a bad valve in there or something. Can you get this valve or other parts for these things at the dealer or part stores, napa said they arn't avalible.

the filter will be a definite addition but I need to do something with the valve thing. Oh, its a dual can set up, 4 bbl edel.on a 360.

thanks guys
u84

·
Registered
619 Posts
you mean there are two charcoal cans hooked up? i dont think ive ever heard of that before. try taking one of the cans off. i live in california too, and i pass smog and emissions every time with only one can. as far as replacing parts definitely try a dealer. if the part is dicontinued, try a local car show or one of the spring or fall fling mopar events at woodley park in van nuys.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Many later model california emissions trucks had two EVAP (charcoal) canisters.

IIRC - The hoses to these canister(s) should not have vacuum lines running to them. They should merely have vent lines to vent the fumes from the float bowl and fuel tank. (Again, IIRC. I have not seen many california models, and did not look that closely at the ones I have run in to....)

-SM

·
7,995 Posts
I believe that the 360's were the ones to have the dual canisters. Where is the valve located that you need to replace?

]

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, you could put a vacuum cap of the correct size IN the hose for the suspect line. It shouldn't be seen during an inspection, and would block the flow of charcoal to your carb..which is a bad, bad thing.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
What is this thing for? I was looking at mine today and its full. Its supossed to be or what? Do i really need it?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Pholom said:
What is this thing for? I was looking at mine today and its full. Its supossed to be or what? Do i really need it?
Instead of venting gas tank and float bowl gas fumes to the atmosphere, they are vented to an activated charcoal canister and stored until the engine is running, when the fumes make their way back up the vent lines and are burned in the combustion chamber.

It is one of the few enviro friendly devices on your vehicle that does not rob power (unless your carb is sucking up the charcoal :eek: )

-SM

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
This may be way way off, but.... I heard on the site months ago that overfilling your tank can actually flood the canister with fuel and when you start up it sucks the fuel (with the floating bits of charcoal) up into the intake. Just a thought.

Cheers

Chris

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
well, on my truck, the canister is higher thanthe fill line on the tank...so I think it'd be hard to over fill it that much

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
On my 85 R/C, 360, I have the 2 cannisters. I found new ones at the dealer. Roughly $100 a piece.

EZ

·
Registered
298 Posts
Put a plug in the line-hidden that is!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts