Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad had a '93 1/2 ton Dodge van with a 318. The bottom of the front suspension cross member is rotting out pretty bad. I looked under there and it looks like a fairly easy swap-out. Looks like I'll have to support the motor, remove some rusty bolts, disassemble a lot of the suspension and bolt the new one in.

Anyone done this before? Anything that might cause me trouble - other than the rusted bolts.

Anyone have a cross member they're looking to sell???

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
If the engine crossmember is rusted, I would have to believe that the rest of the chassis is in similar shape. May have to bite the bullet and replace the van for something less rusty and safer

Ed

·
Registered
29,708 Posts
yes they do rust out and the rest of the van is fine / done a few of them / just get the front springs out first and you can leave the rest hanging there / l,ll price one out for you and let you know

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, thanks a ton Dean! I'll let my pop know.

How do you support the motor while pulling the cross member? With an engine hoist?

I might be putting new leafs in the back of it sometime down the road also. It's a 1/2 ton truck with full racks and a ton of tools inside. She was owned by a plumber before my dad bought her. She's been worked hard her whole life. It's a good truck so it's worth putting a few hundred bux into fixing it up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts