Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am loading up my 3 ton (uhaul) to drive across the country. I am wondering about the wisdom of not having a spare tire(s). The truck did not come with one, and even if it did, I am not sure that it would be wise to try and change it on the side of the road (picturing myself trying to jack it up on a gravel shoulder with traffic whizzing by...). On top of that, the front and rear tires are different sizes (dual rears) although the rims appear to be the same front to back. Any thoughts on this? Should I take a couple of spare wheel/tire combos and a bloody big jack? Roll the dice and take my chances? What do the RV folks do?
BTW, I own the truck, so I can't call Uhaul to rescue me, or AMA for that matter, as they don't service vehicles that large. Anything else I might need (other than the obvious underhood extras)? Thanks!
william

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
The rims shuld be interchangeable,I would get a tirs to match the rear size and carry that as a spare if you need it in the front it will work till you can get it fixed.And yes a fairly heavy jack will be needed probally a bottle jack will be your easiest choice.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
Most bigger trucks do not carry a spare because tires and rims add weight and take up space. Since most trucks are limited by DOT (or your Canadian equivalent) as to how much weight they can carry, the tire is dropped in favor of max weight capacity. Also most trucking companies have national tire accounts and those provide roadside repairs.

You could carry a spare, but consider that truck tires come in three different types for different positions; Steers, Drives, and Trailers. By law you can substitute a drive for a trailer, but you can't put anything other than a Steer in the steer position (Although you can put steers in any other position)

If your truck is small enough that it doesn't use over-the-road type tires, you really don't need a spare. The rear axle is likely a dual tire set-up. If you lose a rear tire, slow down to let the remaining tire cool, you should be able to limp to the nearest tire repair shop on one tire. If you can safely remove the flat then do so to prevent debris from scattering all over the highway.

If you have a front tire flat, you could borrow a rear tire (Unless that front tire is a steer position only tire) and again drive slowly to the nearest tire repair shop.

Ed

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
If it's only 1 tire in the back just keep going with no worries, just hope you don't get a front flat cause then your gonna have to call road service

1 - 4 of 4 Posts