Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 84 R/C. The frame and axles and everything is a 78. Ive been having nothing but problems with my 203 tcase, ive put 3 different ones in it, and just cant get it to work right. So what i need to know is, what do i need to do to make my 70's parts, part time fourwheel drive. I wanna put a 208tcase in it, with lock out hubs? If that works, what all do i have to change? Is it worth doing?
Josh

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Well, you need to start with your transmission. The output shaft for the 208 is different. Other than that, you'll wanna get some complete axle assy's for the front and rear. I replaced mine yesterday. Removed the '79 small bolt pattern crappy ones and installed some out of an '88. It was a bolt-in swap. What kind of probs are you having with your 203? I kept mine 'cause I like my full-time. I permanently locked my CAD fron axle to make it work. 203's don't usually give ya too much problems.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well when i bought this 84, it seemed like the fourwheel drive was working being that it was fulltime and driving. after i got it home, and was testing it out, i noticed that hi and low loc were not avaliable. and when i would put it in standard low, then want to put it back in hi. all it would do is grind. i was told to put another tcase in so i did. i put another one in, and all that one does is give me low loc, nothing else. i have 1 more tcase im gonna put in today. so hopfully that one works

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
Don't forget with the 203 NP, you need to put our truck in park before you change from hi-lo or lo-hi. This is cause you are essentially changing gear ratios. If you don't, the transmission will continue to turn, causing the T/C to turn, causing gears to grind off by the pound.

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
GroundHawger said:
well when i bought this 84, it seemed like the fourwheel drive was working being that it was fulltime and driving. after i got it home, and was testing it out, i noticed that hi and low loc were not avaliable. and when i would put it in standard low, then want to put it back in hi. all it would do is grind. i was told to put another tcase in so i did. i put another one in, and all that one does is give me low loc, nothing else. i have 1 more tcase im gonna put in today. so hopfully that one works
The 203 is one of the most durable t-cases made but they do have some roughness to them. These t-cases are not shift on the fly capable. You can shift from hi to hi-lock or low to low-lock while on the roll but you need to go slow and you can't shift between hi and low on the roll.

Shifting between hi and low range requires a couple of different techniques. First you can try shifting the t-case by first putting the tranny in either park or neutral, or shifting to neutral or depressing the clutch, then shift the t-case. If the t-case doesn't want to shift, you may have some drivetrain bind. In this case you need to put the tranny in reverse and drive several feet and/or spin the tires backwards. Then repeat the above to shift.

Since this truck has been modified before, you should check to see if your front and rear axle gear ratios are the same. Make sure you also have the same sized tires at all four corners, and that they are all at the same pressure. If you have different sized tires, or have low pressure in one or more tires, or your front and rear axle gear ratios do not match each other, you can be experiancing severe drivetrain bind which will make shifting nearly impossible, and the problem isn't the t-case.

If everything checks out correctly, correct tire size and pressure, matching gears, and you do back up, you could have a worn chain or an out of adjustment, bent or damaged shifter linkage.

Ed

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The full-time New Process system was the finest ever built. Kicked Jeep's Quadra-Trac's ass. I don't know why anyone would ever want a part-time case with hubs.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I had the same problem with my '77. Could not get it to shift, put it in park & shut it off & it shifted ok. My truck must be in park, to shift from low to hi. If you try this & it still will not go, or grinds, your linkage might not be moving the gears far enough to fully enguage.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Josh,
Different strokes for different folks, I know! Some think the NP203 is a curse whereas I love my NP203 and have never had any problems with it (knock on a lot of wood!). I'll take that back; sometimes when I pull it out of a LOC position, I can still "feel" things LOC'ed. I just back up 10-20 feet and things unLOC.

I you are dead set for part-time 4WD because of your driving needs, I think you are right in going to a different T-case rather than modifying the NP203. It is my understanding that swapping in a NP205 is the easiest swap. The NP205 is a great case and much lighter that the NP203.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i have 3 NP203'S i have 1 NP205 and 2 NP208'S. so im not totally positive what im giong to do yet. I will probably just end up leaving it fulltime.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts