Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got ahold of some 3.5" Flex Exh DOT cert'd, Galvanized.

I do Not drive my RC on the street anymore, and the current exh system is rusted out.

Anyhow I am planning on using my spare set of collectors that came with my hdrs when I got them a few yrs ago.

I plan on using the flex exh. and run it parrallel to the frame all the way out the back, only prob I can see might be at the gas tank area.

Any input on what I am doing?

And no there will be no mufflers, hence the part where it says from the collector out the back.

My 77 Rc has a 440 hi-po heads, etc etc etc.

I figure it'll definately let it breath quite abit better.

input ?

peace,
Ron

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
man that is big for a gas engine though ..... might work out ok considering what you are doing though ... what the hell hook it up and see if it runs ok .... seems like that 3 inch pipe is about it for gas engines though .... usually that is one single pipe too ...

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
You are gonna run 2- 3.5" pipes in that stock motored truck? well i guess all the turbulance from all the bends in the pipe might help create back pressure so leave the muffs out

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's what I am asking about it, either the single config, or the dual.

I am hoping the bends & ribs insdie, will be enough to create the backpressure the motor needs.

If it doesn't then I will add 2- Flow Masters with 3" inlet & outlet, and slip them uphigh and out of the way somewhere..

I am currently running 36" gls/pacs & 2.5" pipes.

I have the edelbrock perf. 440 intake carb, and hi-po heads.

Fixing to pull the motor and get it ready for a wild rebuild.

Plans are big, I have had this truck for a Long time, still has less then 150k on the truck.

Been mopar all my life, everything except one had been 440's, and that was my 68 RR 383/727.

Thanks for the feedback, anymore just post it . ;) 8)

peace,
Ron

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
i say go for it !!!!!!!!! should be bad ass once done for sure !!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Never been a fan of the flex pipe. If you are going through the expense of doing a wild rebuild on a 440--why not spend a little more for a custom bent dual 3" system? JMO

-SM

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
good ?, the premise of the flex is to keep it tight as possible to the body above the frame.
I paid nothing for it, and figured it would be about 3" ID free flow.
Could be asking for more problems then necessary, will see shortly.

Thanks for the input,
Ron

·
Premium Member
7,231 Posts
I tried the flex pipe exaust system several years ago, with your thoughts in mind. Got it for free too. I wasn't pleased with the results. The flex pipes would sag everytime I hit a bump. They would snag grass and they'd bottom out when I crested a hill. They also don't last very long. After they flex so many times and catch stuff, they will split along a seam.

Flex is fine for short sections to absorb engine movement, but not so great as entire exaust systems.

Ed

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RXT said:
I tried the flex pipe exaust system several years ago, with your thoughts in mind. Got it for free too. I wasn't pleased with the results. The flex pipes would sag everytime I hit a bump. They would snag grass and they'd bottom out when I crested a hill. They also don't last very long. After they flex so many times and catch stuff, they will split along a seam.

Flex is fine for short sections to absorb engine movement, but not so great as entire exaust systems.

Ed
Thanks Ed, that is EXACTLY what I am looking for, and You too Joe, good info guys!

Thanks,
Ron

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Flex pipes don't last. I had a small section only about 7 inches worth of the stuff, and by the end of the winter it had rusted out and was shot, I know you don't have snow and salting of the roads in TX, but the stuff just isn't made to last.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts