Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard these home brewed ways to clean the surface rust out of a tank. Any other ways that might be better?

Attachments

·
30,385 Posts
Chain + solvent + strap tank to jacked up wheel = profit

·
Registered
6,387 Posts
Elwenil said:

That's ******* great injunearing. :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OH, that is genius, I was trying to figure out how to tumble the tank. That's got to make some kind of racket though. ;D

Elwenil said:

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, with work and all the other stuff life is made of, I finally came up with a way to "tumble" the gas tank. Lanty's suggestion is great, but I didn't have a suitable vehicle to use since the TD is the one being worked on. I had a not so great wheel project made from a gear reduction unit and some well used tumbling media from work (never throw anything away). I tipped it on it's side to get the right action and Bob's your uncle. Now, how do I get all the rust powder out of there? Water hose and then a bottle of rubbing alcohol to get rid of the water?

20180414 181433

·
30,385 Posts
Nice work!

As for the dust, rinse, dry, repeat.  {cool}

·
Super Moderator
59,440 Posts
For jerry cans, I throw 1/2 gal of viniger in there, lay it om each side for a day, with a bunch of shaking in between. After all six sides have been done, I rinse it out with water a few times, then throw somee diesel, or oil in there to coat the insides, and prevent further rusting.

If they have the inside painted, and the paint layer is bubbling, then you may need rocks, chain, or something, along with the viniger.

If you are going to paint the inside, remember it has a metal tube connected to the hole in the cap area, that goes across the top, that lets air in while the fuel is poured out. Need to do something to prevent it from getting painted shut.

·
Registered
52,903 Posts
Mojack said:
Ok, with work and all the other stuff life is made of, I finally came up with a way to "tumble" the gas tank. Lanty's suggestion is great, but I didn't have a suitable vehicle to use since the TD is the one being worked on. I had a not so great wheel project made from a gear reduction unit and some well used tumbling media from work (never throw anything away). I tipped it on it's side to get the right action and Bob's your uncle. Now, how do I get all the rust powder out of there? Water hose and then a bottle of rubbing alcohol to get rid of the water?

20180414 181433
{cool} I wish I would have thought about that when I did the gas tank on the 73 Charger.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, anybody close by are welcome to come use it! {cool}

1 - 11 of 11 Posts