Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a cd player I bought from a guy at work into my RC. Before I had had to rewire everything because the stock wiring was shot, so I just cut out what I could reach and taped it up and hung it out of the way, and I just found a 12 v switched source and a 12 v constant source off of the fuse box under the dash and just spliced into those and then made a new ground. It worked fine with a different cd player that I had in there before. But now with this one(same wires I used before) if I turn the lights on the cd player will shut off and then turn back on again. I'm kinda confused as to why it would do this. It worked before, just with a different cd player. Would have a dual battery setup with an isolator have anything to do with it? I wouldn't think so but you never know. Any ideas?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Is the CD Player properly grounded?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
1) Wiring short
2) Bad ground
3) Momentary low voltage to your radio's constant 12V wire--may need to find another source of power (like the original radio fuse in the fuse block---if you didn't already use it) Does the off/on flash affect the radio memory? (stations, audio settings, etc)

-SM

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Slanted_Mind said:
1) Wiring short
2) Bad ground
3) Momentary low voltage to your radio's constant 12V wire--may need to find another source of power (like the original radio fuse in the fuse block---if you didn't already use it) Does the off/on flash affect the radio memory? (stations, audio settings, etc)

-SM
I guess all of those are possibilites. My battery was kinda run down when I tried it would that make a difference?

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Dodge 85 RC said:
I guess all of those are possibilites. My battery was kinda run down when I tried it would that make a difference?
Headlights draw a lot of juice, so it is possible the weak battery was the problem. Only way to see is to charge the batt up and try it ;)

-SM

·
Registered
405 Posts
Did you remember to ground the CD players chassis? Yes, I'm guilty of missing that step!

·
Registered
8,924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The chassis needs to be grounded? That is news to me. The instructions didn't mention anything about grounding the chassis, only the ground wire for the cd player.

·
Registered
405 Posts
lol... I've never been lucky enough to get instructions. Maybe I should stop collecting second-hand junk. The stock radio had a fat cable attached to the back, which I just thought was "'80's security". Installed the "new" one and it was dead. Replaced the old one and it was dead... until I hooked up that fat cable. I'm not saying it's correct or it "should" work that way... there are plenty of other screwy things with my RC.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The stock wiring doesn't include an electrical ground for the radio, hence the fat strap. With an aftermarket stereo, you connect the (-) lead to ground for the electrical, and the antenna lead gives you the chassis ground.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts