Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
cleaning out my closet i found a CB that someone given me a while back and might try to intall it in thre RC. it is a PACE 123A 23 channel CB (vintage, i know). anybody know about this model, where i might find some info and how do you install a cb, what acessories i need?
it has a red wire and black wire on the back for power
thanks for any help.

·
Premium Member
4,879 Posts
Power wire, ground wire, antenna, and mic are all you need. While the CB plays a fairly important role in transmission/reception quality, so does the antenna. If you are going to seriously use it, spend the money on a K40 antenna, and have it tuned in. The antenna can make the difference between 100 foot range and 2+ mile range.

-SM

·
Registered
397 Posts
red should be hot black can go just about anywhere ....antenna is verry important . that old radio will work just fine .i like the 102"stainless steel whip the dont break down and dont need adjusting ,im sure you can get that radio up and going :}

·
Premium Member
886 Posts
You can have a $500 radio and a $5 antenna, and your radio will perform like a $5 radio. If you don't have a mic, any CB shop can wire one up for ya. You can also take that radio into the shop and have it peaked and tuned, match it with a good antenna, have 'em set the SWR's on your vehicle and she should perform pretty good.

·
Registered
240 Posts
well i can tell u i have had 2 cbs, one from radio shack, and one from cobra. The radio shacks microphone button broke pretty quick, but other than that they are pretty much the same. i like the cobra better cuz it has a bigger mic. For atennas i have had the same, 2 international fiberglass whips my friend got me off of a big rig, i have never had a problem with reception within about 2 miles, over that i dont know never had ne 1 go that far away

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
There fun once you get into it. I had a 1000 watt kicker on mine when I had it I could talk all over the place. I had a friend that lived close to 35 miles away and with the kicker I never had a problem that was on the low side...the neighbors did once I kicked it on but they never knew it was me.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what is everyones recommandation on a good antenna, roof top mount. where is a good place to buy.
thanks for the replies

·
Registered
397 Posts
i do not recomend radio shack antennas .dont get in a hurry to buy an antenna .......you can get a good antenna at the truck stop if you know what youre looking for ...... i have a Little Wil magnet mount on my little car it will talk about 5 miles.. it is in the center of the roof ...{$35}comes with coax cable ....it works ok
i have 102" stainless steel whips on my 4xs.....theese i highly recomend ... you can bang them on trees all day without hurting them ...they work well .. i dont know if radio shack still sell teese or not?

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
The only antenna you should consider from radio shack is the 102" whip. It's nice and cheap ($15 + whatever type of mount you want, the bumper mount is like $3), and there's no load coil or magnet base or anything else that can be cheezily built. All the mag base ones they have are basically crap. I had the 102" fiberglass whip, and it was great, but between parking garages and low branches, it got thrashed pretty quick. I have the steel one now, and it's held up fine so far, even when I forget to hook it down under low clearance.

Matt {peace}

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do you have the part number for the 102" stainless steel whip from RS. I bought an antenna from RS yesterday PN#21-974, i think it is the 102" fiberglass. should i take it back and get the SS whip.
thanks

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
went back and bought the 102"SS whip at RS. I am new to the cb thang. i have been reading about SWR. what is that and how to you check it and set it

·
Registered
397 Posts
swr ' you will have to buy a swr meter .unless your radio has a builtin .theres no need if your coax is in good shape and your antenna is grounded well
what are you gonna use for coax? i recomend rg8 coax.or rg8 mini ...rg 58 is the lesser coax itll work for trail talk
what kind of mount are you going to use ?...........where do you plan on installing the antenna?
watch out for lights at the gas station if you mount it to high. .....u will get out though:}

·
Registered
230 Posts
ok i'v worked at a cb shop for a while right up untill i moved.first off a 102 in whip does need to be tuned .any antenna other than the little wil or the k30 needs tuning.my main problem with a 102 whip is yo have to mount it on the back which makes it directional.if you were to run co phase (2 whips) they have to be 9 feet apart in order to not interfere with each other. any closer they'll be canceling each other out.imo the best antenna is the wilson 5000 mine will talk an easy 10 miles at 4 watts over 100 at 1000 if you go mag mount you want it in the very center of the truck also wipe downt he bottom of the mag every now and then moisture will affect your match.also if you decied to run any power don't use the cheap ass radio shack coax.i don't know everything but i learned alot at the shop .toy radio seems to know even more than me .what ever antenna you pick make sure to match it or you run the risk of blowing up your radio

jason

·
Registered
512 Posts
I had a communications shop, for 10 years. For serious range, I either used a K-40, or a Larsen base loaded. As another post indicated, even the 102" whips can be tuned for the best SWR, and any antenna you choose should be. Also don't make the mistake of mounting it somewhere where it parrallels the sheet metal on your rig. If you get it too close it puts the RF load into your sheet metal instead of out in the ionosphere.

Also, as someone mentioned, it IS important to get GOOD coax. I would go to a shop that specializes in 2-way communications. Possibly even have them make up the PL-259 on the coax. They are tricky to do them right.
Good Luck...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.