Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My r/c will fall on its' face when accelerating from a stop. Sometimes it will die and sometimes it won't but will spit and sputter until I let off of the gas. I have a 770cfm truck avenger on it and I have adjusted the floats and the idle mixture with a vaccum gauge and it still does it. The choke is adjusted properly and is working good. What else will cause ths and what do I do to fix it?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Carbs, gotta love em. First, make sure your tuning is correct in relation to timing, plugs, ect. It sounds like your accelerator pump may need some fine tuning. Get the Holley book and read up on pump cams, shooter nozzles and jets. Its well worth the money.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
I'd agree. Accelerator pump tuning time... altho, the choke set-up may affect this too.

Try a fast triple-tickle (quick short pumps on the gas pedal) to see if many little shots from the accelerator pump help prevent the bog...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I took it to a friend of mine and he changed out the power valve to a bigger one. That made it run better but it still fell on its' face when accelerating. We then went full travel both ways on the accelerator pump and it bogged down the whole time. So he changed out the accelerator pump with a different one and we got it alot better. It won't die now but still bogs down a little. We had to call it a night because someone opened the flood gates and I was soaked. I will adjust the accelerator pump tomorrow and see if I can get it to stop bogging down. I think we are close to getting it where it needs to be. We'll see tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
The little plastic cam, that the accelerator pump lever is pushed by, is changeable to get a more rapid or longer stroke.

·
Registered
190 Posts
You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble by putting a #42 or larger nozzle on top. I just did this to mine, same set up as yours. I'm using the orange pump cam and a #41 or 42 nozzle. Everything else is out of the box TSA. Just about any Holley you put on a BB truck will need bigger nozzles. When you get the phillips hold down screw loose, use a clean pair of needlenose pliers to lift the nozzle out. Keep an eye out for the little gasket, it's non-metallic and no fun to fish out of your carb.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I put a #42 discharge nozzle on it last week and it did nothing to help the problem. Went back to my buddies house and we tinkered with it for a few hours to no avail. While I was there we rejetted the sedcondaries down to #76's and WOW what a differance that made in power. It has #99 from the factory. But still had the off idle stumble. I went home and did some reading on Holley's website. Now I know how a carb actually works on the inside. Well, I put the original accelerator pump back in and made sure I hade the .015 clearance on the accel. pump arm. ( wasn't doing that right before). It ran like crap. I went and got the accel. pump cam kit and got to the third one and I'll be damned if the stumble is gone and she is getting a whole hell of alot better gas mileage. I'm so proud of myself :p THANKS for the help guys.{cool}

1 - 8 of 8 Posts