Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
having a few problems with a stubern 79 w100 360 f block, in a 85 rc with a four barrel carb, having issues with the carb i think possible a bad carb, was wondering if any body was willing lend me a hand and posible a well tooned carb for an after noon im trying to see if i need to spend 300 dollars on a new carb or if its something else in the engine all the signs point to a bad carb, but not sure. any help would be appreated. nick

·
Registered
452 Posts
What leads you to the carb? Can you rebuild yours? How about your fuel filter it's the easiest and cheapest to try first. Is this a Q-Jet carb?

·
Registered
480 Posts
I agree have your tryed rebuilding your carb and replacing fuel filter? How about your gas tank have you smashed it at all and possable bent the pick up? also the filter in the gas tank, but handling that thing is a pain in the butt i know. ::)

what are the symptoms?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
heres the link to the vehicle help link. have replaced the fuel filter twice i also drained and cleaned the tank. no q-jet, tq carb. sending units fine actuly rust free. i pulled the carb aprt to day and everything was as clean as a wisel. nothing no dabry no white powder, jets clear, no blockages any where the gaskes where in really good shape, no tears, cracks, nothing, i have rebuilt q-jets before and am quite good at it my buddies usally ask me to do theres. i bought this carb and in take from a guy on craigslist. it still has the holley carb rebuild sticker on it, he told me it was rebuilt 1 year ago and it was for a 360 v8. but i think theres a grimblin hiding in it, the engines us but it a 4 year old rebuilt engine no slack in the timeing chain ether. check out the link and see what u guys think. i dont have the money for a new carb right now, probley want till. november ether. considering its my daily driver im geting slightly frusterated.

http://ramchargercentral.com/vehicle-help/glowing-red-exhaust-manifold/

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Have you gotten it figured out yet?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yep put a new Edelbrock Performer Series Carb (Part No. 1406) on it the engine runs much smoother, but still slugish on the accelation but no more over heating issuse so i started the engine and pulled the spark plugs off one at a time and the engine tone didnt change on 1 or 5 so comp test reveled 100 psi in 1 and 110 in cycleder 5, so im guessing i have a couple valves that arent sealing tight enough but other then that the engine runs 75 to 80% better hands down so i took the carb to a local carb shop and had then check to see what size jets where in it and they said it had been rejeted for a 400 not a 360, in simple over fueling.

·
Registered
452 Posts
If you pulled the plug wires and nothing changed I'd be looking at the plug wires or the plugs to see if they are firing. It should still run with that compression. Run some Sea Foam through it and see if that doesn't help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i ran a about a quart of the Lucas Oil Products Upper Cylinder Lubricant With Injector Cleaners, because it carb safe too. but i ran half threw the first tank and the other half threw the second tank, but ill try adding two cans of seafoam to the next tank and yes im getting a good clean spark out of all the plugs and wires. changed to Champion Copper Plus RN14YC gaped at 0.035, from Bosch Platinum Plus Spark Plu, that helped to. also replace the Ignition Control Module with a BWD one, replaced the stock coil with a slightly larger one, that helped cap rotor too.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Bring it Saturday so we can get a better look at it!  :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
I can understand that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts