Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '77 318 powered Power Wagon, w/ '79 T-quad is having some issues...
It idles really smooth at start up, right at 800 RPM. But, when I tag the throttle, and bring it up any where above say, 2000 rpm, it idles down to 1500 RPM fine, but from there it idles down extremely slowly, if at all. Please help me!
thanks,
-Steve C.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Check all the linkage for freeplay and smooth action... something may just be binding, and need to be bent back to shape.
OR
Is there a little diaphragm looking "dashpot" that stops the linkage on the carb when you let off..? It's there to stop the throttle plates from slamming shut, but yours may need adjusting... if it even has one.

G

·
Betcha Smokey's right. Did the TQuad come from an A/C equipped vehicle? If so, it probably has the dashpot Smokey mentioned. It's meant to kick the idle up when the A/C is on. Adjust it, or toss it.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PrimerGrey said:
Betcha Smokey's right. Did the TQuad come from an A/C equipped vehicle? If so, it probably has the dashpot Smokey mentioned. It's meant to kick the idle up when the A/C is on. Adjust it, or toss it.
Nope, came from a non-AC truck. I know my EGR is AFU, could that have some think to do with it?
-Steve C.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PrimerGrey said:
Nope. Have you checked those things Smokey mentioned.
I've checked the linkage /butter fly's for binding, and if I apply pressure w/ my hand on the throttle plates it doesn't help...
Thanks,
-Steve C.

·
7,995 Posts
Check your choke linkage for maladjustments or binding. The TQ does not like to have the fast idle screw adjusted in too far, it can get hung up on the fast idle cam and keep the idle from falling. Also all of my factory TQ's take a long time to come off high idle. Are you having this problem more when your engine is cold?

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chump said:
Check your choke linkage for maladjustments or binding. The TQ does not like to have the fast idle screw adjusted in too far, it can get hung up on the fast idle cam and keep the idle from falling. Also all of my factory TQ's take a long time to come off high idle. Are you having this problem more when your engine is cold?
Nope, it can be any temp. I'll double and triple check all of my linkages tommorrow.
Thanks,
-Steve C.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Triple checked it today, binding throttle cable. All fixed now, thanks guys.
-Steve C.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts