Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. Thanks for reading and for any following replies. I don't post on here much with questions because I haven't gotten to wrenching on the dodge this spring/summer yet. But I started today. Here come the questions.

When I got the truck, it was having some severe idling issues once the truck was warmed up. So when I got it parked for the winter, I pulled the carb and set it in my shop and was going to take a look at it/order a rebuild kit over the winter and get it done. Remodeling my basement has put a hold on this.

Today I pulled the carb (QuadraJet) off the shop table and decided I was going to slap it on the engine (318) and see if she wanted to go. Primed the carb properly (I think) and after a couple seconds of cranking, the girl fired up like a sex starved nymphomaniac. I was actually surprised, to say the least, when it settled down and started to idle at what I can only guess was 600-800 rpm. Really low and VERY steady. Unfortunately, I didn't take note to the driver's side valve cover being almost completely off (it was just sitting there), and oil started boiling/smoking on the exhaust manifolds. So I cut the engine after about 7 minutes of running. Fine. Bolted down the cover and went to fire the engine back up. Nothing. Ok, guess I'll give it a bit of a prime, pumped it 4 or 5 times, fired it. It fired, ran for about 5 seconds, and then just died out. If I sit under the engine bay and continually "goose" it, it'll stay running but if I let go of it, it'll die eventually. And it seems that if I was to hold the throttle half open, it'll eventually start to die. In other words, I've always got to advance it or it'll die. Another odd thing is that the breathers now blow out smoke while its running. It wasn't blowing smoke when it was running from a cold start but after I killed it and then tried to refire it, it blows smoke. Anyone have ANY ideas as the what the hell is going on. I'm running out of ideas.

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
It's running rich, possibly

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
if its been sitting could it have sucked a piece of dirt or something up from the tank past the filter into the jet?

did you Shoot out all the oil? is there any left in the pan (ok im joking here)
check your jets they sound clogged

G

·
Just to add to the confusion, I don't think it's rich. Sounds like a fuel flow problem. Have you pulled the inlet filter to see if it's plugged?

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Unless it is loading up and flooding out... black sooty exaust smell, gasoline stink for engine area...

I'd agree with PG, sounds like, as long as you are working the throttle linkage, and thus regularly pumping the accelerator pump, and adding little shots of fuel, it keeps running until it runs out.

1. Check fuel pump output pressure
2. Replace the fuel filters.
3. Go back and rebuild that poor carb, or at least check the needle and seat for clean and function.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would have to agree with smokey and PG on the diagnosis but what gets to me is that when cold and I fire it, it'll run like a nun in south central. I could have let it idle fine all day like that. It was only when I killed it and then tried to fire it back up once it was warm that it won't stay lit. It'd be pretty coincidental for their to be a fuel blockage at that particular point. Even still, if there is a block, why will it run when i gas it? Also, the pump is outputting just as much as it did during cold start. Looks like a carb rebuild/swap is in order. Wish I knew the first thing about them :)

·
7,995 Posts
My guess would be fuel flow also. Don't forget that the choke plate is closed on a cold engine so you have less air flow or a richer fuel mixture. It's possible for the truck to idle all day like this even after the choke opens, but not perform when the throttle is opened up like you said. By pumping the gas pedal you are increasing gas flow by using the pump shots from the accelerator pump and this could be enough gas flow to keep it running, kinda like dribbling gas into the carb from a can. Easiest cheapest thing to try is to replace the fuel filter and see if it runs any better. Also when the egnine is hot you can manually close the choke valve and see if it starts...if it does than you know its fuel flow for sure. Next thing is a rebuild and/or fuel pressure test.

·
Registered
190 Posts
When you pump it, the accelerator pump shoots another blast into the mouth. Sounds like the main metering system is fouled up or, the bowl isn't getting enough gas to keep up. Could also have crud in an air passage (air bleed) that won't allow proper fuel flow. The accelerator pump is usually low on the carb so it gets filled up first as the bowl is filling.

·
Registered
9,024 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok. i like what you guys are saying now. but here comes the tricky part. I can pull apart and reassemble the entire carb in little to no time. I've done it before. But I dont know what the names of all of the pieces are. for instance. chump, how exactly would i go about manually closing the choke on a quadrajet. likewise, ramjet, would stripping this carb and cleaning everything once over be my first basic step? Thanks a lot for your time guys, I'm just a EFI kid growing up in a carb world.

·
7,995 Posts
For the choke, try opening the throttle plates by manually pushing on the accelerator cable from under the hood. While you hold the the cable/throttle lever back, manually close the choke valve and gently release the the throttle back to the rest position. Get a rebuild kit and a 1 gallon can of Chem-Dip/Berryman cleaner to soak the carb parts in and rebuild the carb.

·
Registered
663 Posts
ok, everybody has touched on your fuel flow issue but you mentioned that you had idle problems long time ago.
most dodge engines with a lot of miles i ve seen love to be fed gas, have really choppy idle when the oil warms up.
when my 440 gets nice n hot it ll float between 7-800rpms and sounds kinda crappy.
you may have some excessive play in your crank journals. you don t even have to do a complete overhaul to replace them. they are two piece. to my knowledge you can drop one cap at a time and slide them out. make sure you put some oil on the new ones when they go in.
have you done a compression check? better yet a leak down test?
i get some smoke out my breathers to, may have a little blow by.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.