Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a new carb for the 360 I just built for my truck. Its not much bored 30 over and a mild rv cam and 4 barrel. I always had good luck with the carter afb's may even go with an intake carb combo what do you guys like and would suggest for my little setup? I was thinking of staying around 600 maybe a 650 but not for sure the old truck has 392 gears in it. If you need any more info just ask I will give what I can for an informed opinion. Thanks guys

·
Registered
120 Posts
Curious myself..I am considering the throttle body conversion.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
carter afb's are now made/sold by eddy , a few different sizes , and choke types . The support is good and parts are readily available .  The set up/adjustment is simple , with instructions .. for a mild engine the smaller cfm , and the auto choke set up work well . The stock air filter housing for a dodge ( even the magnum motor ) fits .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I never was a big fan of Holley and I have heard good things about Edlebrock what about Offenhauser they used to make some good stuff back in the day. What intake combo would you use I know there is Air Gap and Wieand used to make some good stuff as well. Thinking of replacing both intake and card.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
when I wanted one about all I found was the air gap ,I used the non egr model ,  it worked ok although I'd have preferred a lower "rise " one .  the 1406 eddy carb is an afb carter don't make them anymore ...

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
70sdodge said:
Thinking of replacing both intake and card.
Here are a some intake choices that would have the correct port size for your 360 heads and work well:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dcc-4876335/overview/make/dodge --- pretty much exactly what you have but aluminum. appears to have provision for A/C brackets too and it is MOPAR

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/edl-7176/overview/make/dodge --- edelbrock performer RPM (360 ports)

The standard edelbrock performer has smaller 318 sized ports which can be port matched.

There are quite few carburetors in the 500-650 cfm range that will work well for you. Are you planning on any offroading or is this mainly a street truck?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mainly a street truck but I go off road to haul wood pull a trailer go to rock quarry get a load of rock. It gets used like a tank even pull out the tractor or trees if they fall in the wrong direction. Wouldn't mind putting it in some local mud runs or truck pulls until I get that truck fixed up.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer intake and getting a carb to match it from them as well thinking of a 600cfm or maybe a 650. As I will probably have either a set of heads reworked later for it or get a different set but 1 thing at a time.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
600 is plenty

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
70sdodge said:
I was looking at the Edelbrock Performer intake and getting a carb to match it from them as well thinking of a 600cfm or maybe a 650. As I will probably have either a set of heads reworked later for it or get a different set but 1 thing at a time.
the performer intake has 318 sized ports.. they can be opened up to match your 360 heads though. IMO the stock intake is a better choice unless you are planning to to a bit of grinding on the edelbrock. The 600 cfm carb will work well right out of the box. If you end up using your stock intake a square bore carb will require an adapter though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I can't recommend the Street Demon. I broke the spring on the secondary and they wanted me to send it back for like 75 bucks. It wasn't even a year old, and probably didn't have 3000 mikes on it. Other than that it was a decent carb. Maybe they should use better parts and increase price a little. The 86-90 quadrajet is a better carb imo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.