Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a  77 trailduster i live in ca have a carter thermo quad carb want to put edelbrock egr manifold on  will all carb egr crap work will it pass smog all help appreciated

·
Registered
36 Posts
i'd email edelbrock for that one. edelbrock used to boast "50 state legal" on a lot of their parts but don't so much anymore, probably because the claim was misleading. if having the egr stuff hooked up is the requirement in ca, i would be inclined to believe you'd be alright to install it.

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
50 state legal does not mean "will pass the sniffer test", it means you will not fail a visual inspection just for having it bolted on. If you have a holley 4500 dominator, you can be failed, simply because it does not have proper vacuum port provisions....even if it could blow clean on a sniffer. The ebrocks had been approved as a "stock replacement", having things like ported timing, pcv hook ups ect ect. The intakes, are some times (depending on type) legal as stock replacement.

The performer line up is, as it has the proper emissions provisions.

Will it pass? Depends on. Won't (shouldn't) fail from a visual if installed properly and completely.

Will the egr work? Depends on if you hook it up or not, and route the vacuum lines properly, to and include any electrical or thermal vacuum switches that came on the truck originally.

Should you go out and get a ebrock performer intake? Probably not, unless you are concerned about the weight savings or the stock one is damaged. I doubt you will find much performance gain on a 4 barrel engine by switching to it. They are listed as stock replacement for a reason.

·
29,524 Posts
At least on my 86, the Performer with the EGR is legal with the stock carb. I would assume the same would be true for a 77.

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
yea it will work i am sure of that ...i plan on using an eddy egr mainfold when i get to it this summer ...anyhow isnt a 77 smog exempt anyhow ?

·
Registered
36 Posts
you'll need to go to where they test and ask them. it varies state to state, and in a lot of cases county to county. i'd say look on the internet, but laws change so fast that the web can't always give you accurate info. best thing to do is go to the source.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
You won't gain any power going from the stock manifold to the Edelbrock Performer.  You only save weight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts