Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might sound stupid, but I need to check the timing on my 82 RC, and I can't see the timing tab or balancer with all the other crap in the way (power steering, smog, alternator, etc.)  Do I need to take something off, or is there some sweet spot I can peek through to see it?
Thanks,
Chad

·
Registered
946 Posts
Try standing on drivers side, looking past the battery.  Then again, I don't have the smog pump on mine, so it's easy, but you should be able to see it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, just went out and tried, but I can't hardly see the balancer at all, except from underneath.  Also, how do you get to the distributer hold down bolt?  Custom wrench?

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
chad44 said:
Also, how do you get to the distributer hold down bolt? Custom wrench?
Yep, called a distributor wrench. Any parts store should have one on the shelf.

Wrench

Either that or if you have some crow foot wrench/sockets, those would likely work as well, although they might be a little big to fit in there.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Just try a good old long extention bar.  Perhaps a stack of short bars will work even better.  That's the way I do er'.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Has anyone heard of the timing tab being on the bottom of the motor?  The smog guy said he thinks that's where it should be on mine.  there is seriously no way to see the top area of the balancer, do any of you have pics of how your's looks?  He thought maybe the motor was swapped out of a van??
Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
You should have timing marks on the timing chain cover and the balance has marks too.  There is a tab that holds the pickup for a Mopar magnetic timing device (mine is removed), but most of us just use the traditional light.  That tab assembly goes on the top, not the bottom.  Your smog guy is wrong.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok thanks, is the tab a stamped steel deal like on the chevy's, or is it cast into the timing cover?

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
The factory cover has marks, not a tab.  It goes from 10* btdc to 10* atdc.  Then there's this stamped metal tab that attches the the water pump studs. If I remember right,  tt has a pointer on it.  To set my time, all I have to do is refer to the 0 on the timing cover and use the numbers on my balancer.  It is also helpful using a dial-back timing light.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So there's numbers on the balancer too?  I'm sorry for all the questions, just getting familiar with dodge's.

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
*mine* does, but it's aftermarket.  I don't remember what my factory one was like.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
The factory balancer just has a groove across it. The sheetmetal thing that bolts to the water pump bolts is a holder for a timing system the factory and dealerships used and is not accurate for a normal timing light. The timing is cast into the cover and can be on either side depending on the year. I think the '70s and newer models are all on the passenger side under the alternator. It can be seen easily, but you have to be in the right spot. If I can, I'll take a pic of my '88 later.

Here is a pic of the older early '60s style with the indicator cast on the wrong side, but the other has it in the same location on the other side of the crank:

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
my balancer (87 318) has a groove cut into it.  it was very hard to see so i painted it white with some of the wife's fingernail polish stuff.  made timing it a lot easier since you could actually see it under the light. 

might help once you locate a viewing angle around the smog stuff.

matt

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Ok, I'm wrong, the indicator is still on the driver's side on the later models.  I'm sure at some point it flipped sides but I can't remember when, maybe it's on big blocks.  Anyway I'll be uploading a pic in a second.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Ok, here is a pic of my timing cover and indicator:

This is of my '88 TBI 318. This is looking from the driver's side of the engine down at the crank. In the bottom of the pic you can see the round power steering cap beside the outer power steering pump bracket. At the top rigth of the pic you can see the adjustment bracket for the smog pump. In the center of the pic you can see a little round tube thing. This is the holder for the dealer timing setup and should basically be ignored. Below the holder can be seen my surface rusted balancer. To the right of the holder you can see a rectangular aluminum protrusion from the timing cover that is cleaner than the rest of the cover. this is where the timing marks are. As mentioned before it should show -10° to 0° to +10°. This shot is from me standing on my driver's side hub, looking down between the power steering pump and under the smog pump. It's a pretty clear and straight shot at it. Someone with a stock 1/2 ton can probably see easily by just standing on the ground.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Awesome!  Thank you all so much for all the help!
I finally see the timing marks on the cover, but I can only see about the last 1/4" of it to the driver's side stickign out under the water pump.  I think part of the problem is that the power steering pump is mounted way closer to the water pump on mine that in your pic Elwenil. 

Here's another catch, just noticed the numbers on the side of the block, 360.  VIN says it should be a 318. 

One more question, if the timing marks go from +10 to -10 how am I supposed to set timing at 16 like it says on the label on the inner fenderwell??

·
Super Moderator
14,034 Posts
chad44 said:
Here's another catch, just noticed the numbers on the side of the block, 360. VIN says it should be a 318.

One more question, if the timing marks go from +10 to -10 how am I supposed to set timing at 16 like it says on the label on the inner fenderwell??
#1. someone swapped in a 360 (bonus!)

#2. dial-back timing light or take a rough guess estimated the additonal 6 degrees.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Keep in mind that if the power steering pump is in the way, you can loosen and take the belt off and swing it tot he end of it's adjustment to move it.  My '88 is still a V-belt engine, so the power steering brackets on my engine should be the same as what you have on yours.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts