Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when i lock in the hubs, the four low and low lock works fine but the high won't work at all. I can sift the transfercase into high and it feel like its engaging but the front wheels don't spin. I have a 77 adventurer 150 with an automatic tranny. Any ideas?

·
Registered
619 Posts
you might need to adjust your shift linkage. there should be two different shift rods, one for the range (hi or low) and one for the lockout (locked or unlocked). if the lockout or range levers are not properly adjusted, they will be to far at one end of the scale (in your case the low and low lock positions), and wont engage the hi or hi lock properly. i suggest taking it to a professional, because this can be a very tricky thing to adjust.

·
Registered
756 Posts
i had the same problem. my linkage is for the most part screwed up, i have to "loc" mine from under teh truck manually. sounds like you have the same problem

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
78machowgn4me said:
you might need to adjust your shift linkage. there should be two different shift rods, one for the range (hi or low) and one for the lockout (locked or unlocked). if the lockout or range levers are not properly adjusted, they will be to far at one end of the scale (in your case the low and low lock positions), and wont engage the hi or hi lock properly. i suggest taking it to a professional, because this can be a very tricky thing to adjust.
actually to adjust this if it is a 203 tcase, all oyu need is an 11/64 drill bit and a 1/2 inch wrench and the ability to put the tcase in neutral.

what you do is crawl under the truck, loosen two(2) 1/2 inch bolts/nuts holding linkage slides in position. you then manually shift the range and loc lever into neutral, once you have made sure tcase is in neutral, you can look on side of shift lever case, you will see a small (11/64) hole in the side of case. slide drill bit into hole making sure it goes all the way through and prevents movement of either shift lever. get inside of truck and make sure shift handle for tcase is in neutral position. (if drill bit went all the way through case, then it should be) if it is then climb under truck and tighten the two (2) 1/2 inch bolts on the linkage rods. about a 20 minute procedure

while under the truck make sure linkage rods are good and straight, if they arent this could throw your adjustment out of whack.

however, i agree with william on this, if it is a 77 it should be fulltime and have the 203 case, it should not have lockout hubs, unless someone put in a part time kit. please let us know on this

eric

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy that owned the truck before me put the part time kit on it. it sounds to me that it must be the linkage. i'll have to check it out. if that doesn't fix it i'll take it to a shop.
thank you all for your help, i really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
gordon77 said:
The guy that owned the truck before me put the part time kit on it. it sounds to me that it must be the linkage. i'll have to check it out. if that doesn't fix it i'll take it to a shop.
thank you all for your help, i really appreciate it.
ok, if i am not mistaken, with the part time kit in it, where the shifter says hi, it will be 2wd

eric

·
Registered
44 Posts
You are not mistaken. IN HI or LOW it will be in 2wd then in HI LOC or LOW LOC it will go into 4wd. I have a problem with mi pt tiime T case slipping out of 4wd. could this be a linkage prblem too. I thought that there was an internal part that was suposed to keep it in, anyone else have that problem or know how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
Adam D said:
You are not mistaken. IN HI or LOW it will be in 2wd then in HI LOC or LOW LOC it will go into 4wd. I have a problem with mi pt tiime T case slipping out of 4wd. could this be a linkage prblem too. I thought that there was an internal part that was suposed to keep it in, anyone else have that problem or know how to fix it?
check your linkage first using the instructions posted earlier if this is a 203

eric

·
Registered
3 Posts
gordon77 said:
when i lock in the hubs, the four low and low lock works fine but the high won't work at all. I can sift the transfercase into high and it feel like its engaging but the front wheels don't spin. I have a 77 adventurer 150 with an automatic tranny. Any ideas?
Are the shift linkage clips slipping, I have a similar problem and my linkage clips are broken off the shift linkage, the blocks are still there but the clips are gone this may be the trouble. note the only place I found top get these is the dealer the clips were $5.08 ea. Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.