Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can not get the bolt loose to let the oil out of my motorcycle.Its a 1987 suzuki savage..I have gotten vise grips and used pliers to clamp it down tight and it still just moves around the bolt essentially making it round.I got the oil changed last year at a place when i bought it but I dont want to go back there since the broke a switch on my other motorcycle and scratched the fender on this one.How or why did they make it this damn tight???
anybody have any ideas how in the hell I can get this bolt loose?
and yes I am turning it the correct way.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If the bolt just spins, it is most likely stipped. Your gonna need to drill it out and tap the hole to fit a new plug.

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RamUinWI said:
If the bolt just spins, it is most likely stipped. Your gonna need to drill it out and tap the hole to fit a new plug.
the bolt doesnt turn the vise grips no matter how tight just turn around the bolt and the plug does not loosen. The bolt does not turn at all.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I'd personally just drill it and use an easy out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Does the drain bolt have a flange on it that seals up against the case? If so, you can use a small chisel and a small hammer to get it loose. You have to very carefully get the chisel to dig into the edge of the flange and then you can carefully hammer it , so the plug will rotate in the right direction. It’s hard to describe how to do this correctly, and there is a fine line between getting the plug loose and damaging the cases. It may be that the plug has been over tightened to the point where the threads in the case are piled up and jammed, or it was stripped and forced in there the last time. Using easy outs to get motorcycle drain plugs out is usually impossible (depending on the type of plug), because most plugs are designed in such a way that there isn’t enough meat for the easy out to dig into. You can also use a method similar to the one above, but again, only if the plug has a flange on it. Instead of using a chisel, you can drill a hole into the edge of the flange (being careful to not go too deep and hit the case) and then use a punch instead of the chisel to knock the plug loose. If there isn’t a flange to work with , then you could try and file 6 flats onto the rounded off plug and tap on a 6 point socket. Or you could load it in the truck and take it by a reputable shop and see if they can give you some ideas.
Good luck

·
Registered
29,663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The bolt is right next to the frame any socket wont even fit in there you have to use a wrench.I did not want to pay someone to change the oil. How in the hell do you make a drain plug that tight anyways?

·
Registered
240 Posts
ur only hope looks like taking a drill and drilling it out i had to do that on a stripped screw, u just start with a little one then keep working ur way bigger

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Can you reach the plug (bolt) with a pipe wrench? If so, adjust the pipe wrench to fit snugly on the bolt head. Make sure the teeth on the pipe wrench are digging in in the direction you are turning the bolt. Then turn it out of there. If necessary use a piece of pipe as a cheater bar.

mrpeabdy1974 said:
RamUinWI said:
the bolt doesnt turn the vise grips no matter how tight just turn around the bolt and the plug does not loosen. The bolt does not turn at all.

G

·
What Macario said. Apply steady, even pressure, don't try to jerk the thing lose. You want the jaws to grip the bolt head and start turning the bolt out without tearing up the head any more. And then throw those vise grips in the corner and quit using them to remove bolts.

·
Registered
368 Posts
what size head is on the plug?

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
try heating the bolt up with a torch, one of the small butane ones at wal-mart should do the trick, I am guessing that they used some thread lock on it so it won't back off from vibration also do not use the forked end of the wrench use the round end

·
Registered
365 Posts
ask Martha :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts