Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If it is a fuel injected Mopar it will be referred to in metric
5.2, 5.9 etc.

If it is carbeurated it will be refered to by its cubic inch

318, 360...

thanks for playing along.

No rhyme or reason. just bored and wanted to see what people would say to this post.  ;D

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel is injected. Refer to it in metric! When you find the carbed diesel then you have a loophole.

No difference between TBI or Magnum, still EFI.

You got me on the hillborn though... dangit.  ;D
calling a 340 anything but a 340... well thats just blasphemy. That is the 1 exception.
Now a carbed 402 is just that. a 402. Inject that puppy an call it a 6.6

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Makes sense to me.

·
Registered
112 Posts
John deere tractors that were all fuel. They are carburated and you started them on gasoline then could switch over to diesel kerosene or diselite. I think 1955 or 56 or so is the one im reffering to. Don't quote me on this but i believe its 412 ci 2-cylinder and has 16:1 compression. someone do the math on the Liters... idk

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
In my opinion, there is little rhyme or reason behind what an engine is called by other than the time frame.  American engines have traditionally been called by their cubic inch size, especially V8 engines.  Foreign engines usually are known by the liters as they are usually from countries that use the metric system.  I believe the fact that most of the early 4 and 6 cylinder engines were based on foreign engines that they also took on the metric systems.  Couple that with the fact that no college seems to want to teach the SAE measurements anymore and the change was inevitable.  It wasn't until the mid '80s - early '90s that liters became popular in the US with the manufacturers.  This as also about the time that fuel injection became standard so the two do sort of fit but I don't think that has anything to do with it since all the factory manuals still refer to the TBI engines as 318 and 360.  The Magnum engines, for the most part seem to use the metric call-outs more than anything but there is still a lot of factory literature calling them Magnum 318 and Magnum 360.

G

·
What if your fuel injected '360' was installed in a 'stepside' dodge that had 'posi' in both 'rears' ? Do you think you'd go back in time? Do you get a liter-a-cola?

·
Registered
488 Posts
Engines or motors?  ::) :-*

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Motors are electric.  ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
It was a joke, Joe, relax, lol.

·
Registered
555 Posts
JustRamIt91 said:
John deere tractors that were all fuel. They are carburated and you started them on gasoline then could switch over to diesel kerosene or diselite. I think 1955 or 56 or so is the one im reffering to. Don't quote me on this but i believe its 412 ci 2-cylinder and has 16:1 compression. someone do the math on the Liters... idk
it is 6.75 liters aprox

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Sorry, but to me, 440 sounds better than 8.1 or whatever liter it is. Carb or gas!! ;)

·
Registered
52,716 Posts
willy J said:
calling a 340 anything but a 340... well thats just blasphemy.
What about the new 5.7 hemi? it's a 347. :p

·
Registered
112 Posts
thanks badram360 or should i say 5.9??

Its funny how those two cylinders are bigger than my 6.

Did you ever see one of those JOHN DEERE engines taken apart?  Its like a coffe can with an i-beam for a connecting rod.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts