Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. I`ve got an 87 LE ramcharger 4x4 with a 318. It`s had low pressure since I bought it a few months back. I replaced the oil pump w/ a high volume unit and installed a mechanical pressure gauge and while the pressure kicks ass when cold (70 psi idling cold) it soon drops to near 0 idling when hot and maybe 25-30 tops on the highway. Plus it leaks alot of oil from the rear main. Motor makes good power though and doesn`t burn oil.

Anyhow, I don`t have the cash for a proper rebuild so I`m taking a knowledgable friend`s advice and changing out the main bearings/con rod bearings and front and rear main seals. My question is: Is it possible to do all this with the motor in the truck? I know the con rod bearings are easy enough but I`m not so sure the main bearings/seals will be so easy. I`d just like to know what I`m getting into before I start, thanks.

·
Premium Member
9,424 Posts
Well, yeah, but one of the primary controls on oil pressure is cam bearings, and all of that won't help them at all. If it runs smoothly, and doesn't rattle, I'd probably save the money for a proper rebuild when you have time.... rather than fight with the crank in the truck.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I did main bearings with the motor in on my previous RC. I will never do it again.

Pulling the oil pan is easy enough, so are the seals. When doing the bearings, I had a hard time doing the first cap. The big frame piece that goes under the front of the motor is right in the way.

Also, if the main bearings are bad enough to be replaced, the rest of the motor is probably that worn, too.

Ted

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
cooper30 said:
The big frame piece that goes under the front of the motor is right in the way.

Ted
Can we say crossmember? ;D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts