Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am degreeing an Edelbrock Performer Plus camshaft in my 1974 360.
My cam card sez that at .050 lift my intake valve should open at 4 ATDC and close at 28 ABDC.
By my measurements I am coming up with 6 ATDC and 26 ABDC. This will make me 2 degrees retarded correct?
So is this a problem? If so how do I fix it?

·
Registered
30,059 Posts
are you useing the three[3] key way double roller timing chain / they are setup to have 2* advanced- 0* and 2* retarded / if you dont you need to get one / this will fix you right up

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
are you useing the three[3] key way double roller timing chain / they are setup to have 2* advanced- 0* and 2* retarded / if you dont you need to get one / this will fix you right up
I am useing the Edelbrock timing chain set but it will advance or retard the cam 4* so that is more than I need.
Since I posted this I called the Edelbrock tech line. They said anything less than 5 degrees is nothing to worry about. Does this sound right to you guys? I allways thought that you cam had to be pretty much right on the money.

·
Premium Member
8,998 Posts
Well, they are KINDA right. TO get it dead on, you will have to get the offset keys from mopar and put one in to advance the cam 2 deg.

I found out when I degreed my cam that it is made with 4* adv, so I just installed it straight up.

And yes, the 3 key way varieyt is 4* adv, 0*, or 4* retarded...not 2

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
From what i've seen the timing chains with 3 key ways is 4 degrees advance or retard is actually 8 degrees of crankshaft rotation. 2 degrees does make a small difference. If it was mine I would advance it 4 degrees. With timing chain stretch and flex with rocker arms and push rods that would then make it about perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts