Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I snagged this little pop up camper and decided to have a little fun with it. It's a 2007 cobalt in decent shape and I got it for $650. Goal is to keep it light enough to pull with our jku. Will use it to camp with the family mainly at campgrounds that have electric,  and bathhouse when the wife and kids are going.  The other use will be to travel to some dirt bike races with my middle son as he is getting competitive in racing. This is what I'm starting with.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Rebuilt the cabinet with the sink and removed the stove for some counter/ cabinet space. I usually carry a small portable grill and also cook over fire.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will be running the same size tires as my jeep so I don't need to carry a spare.  This require a sawzall,  relocating the axle about 6", and some jeep fenders

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Last night I picked up the remains of another popup. I wanted the water tank, which is 35 gallons.  Mine had a little 5 gallon tank with a hand pump faucet.  The new one has an electric pump.  It's pretty thin so it will mount under the camper between the rails. Got a lot of other good parts that I will either use or resell.
Eric

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Well I have you beat.  ;D

I bought a 26' 1979 Bendix camper for $600 heat worked, fridge worked on elec, water heater works just have to figure out the plumbing so we have hot water in the shower. YEP shower and a hopper.  ;)

Pulled it to my dad's land with water, electric, and a sewer hook up.  Nope it doesn't move, it's our "cabin" Bought it , parked it.  :p

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You definitely win,  we'll either be digging a hole or buying a portable toilet! And a hot shower...!!!

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
mttaff said:
You definitely win, we'll either be digging a hole or buying a portable toilet! And a hot shower...!!!
LOL.............. {win} {win} {win} {win}

OH and I put a rooftop A/C unit ( I got for free from Superburban, George) in it, that on a 90* day will make you put sweatpants and a sweatshirt on. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now you're just showing off!!! Lol

Yesterday was a productive day,  I got the axle relocated back 6". I also got the passenger side inner fender and sidewall clearanced to fit the tires and got the placement for a tj flare to fit. This work will allow me to run the same size tire as my jeep and only keep one spare.  Only thing I need to do is build an inner fender.

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Fender in place,  with spare sitting in location.  Adapters should be in today to fit the wheels and space them properly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I also ran into a problem, the top wouldn't lift.  When I dug into it the system used a screw system that pulled 4 cables,  one for each corner. It was a nylon nut and it was stripped out.  I figure that is to prevent pulling too hard and breaking the cables but I'll be careful lol.  I bought some all thread thre proper size and welded a nut on the whiffle tree. Then weld another nut on the end so i can use a ratchet to raise the camper.  Good as new.
Eric

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
mttaff said:
Now you're just showing off!!! Lol

Yesterday was a productive day, I got the axle relocated back 6". I also got the passenger side inner fender and sidewall clearanced to fit the tires and got the placement for a tj flare to fit. This work will allow me to run the same size tire as my jeep and only keep one spare. Only thing I need to do is build an inner fender.
Just stuff I have stored for the last 6 years. ;)

I admire what you are doing. But I can't see all that work into a pop-up. My brother bought a fold out and man it was tough to keep warm or cool on the foldout ends. Even with the heat and A/C it ran all the time.

I'm too old to go without A/C, real heat, and a pooper. Oh or a 32" flat screen with surround sound and a DVD player. {win} :p I can do the solar shower though.

Attachments

·
Registered
52,875 Posts
Yes I can flip it up out of the way and spin it from one viewing end of the camper to the other.  ;)

We too a $600 camper and turning it into a home away from home.  :p we have less that $1000 in it with everything.

If need be we will pull it to the property we are looking to buy and live in it. But I have an option of getting a free 60" or 64" construction trailer from work, empty with a pooper. Yeah I'll take that for a $1400 tow fee to where it's going. Now we just need to secure the land............... 

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh, don't get me wrong what we normally do probably doesn't even qualify as camping. We just sold our 40 foot fifth wheel.  It was a 2017 with all the  amenities including fireplace,  3 TV's,  leather,  and an island in the kitchen! We'll probably get something to replace that one of these days but it won't be as extravagant.  This is more of a project for fun that we'll probably enjoy or the family could hate it and I won't be out much. Our first camper was a small hybrid years ago.
Eric

·
Premium Member
5,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Got what I needed to start on cutting for the inner fenders.  I used a jk inner fender with a tj flare and did enough cut and modify to make it look like it came this way.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.