Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me if there's an easy way to adjust the camber on my 85 RC myself?

I hate letting other people put their dirty hands into my baby... (that's my job, dammit). My only drawback is that i'm really not TOO familiar with teh guts yet... (but i'm learjning day by day)

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Need some more info 2 or 4 wheel drive? The 2 wheeler is easy, theres a couple of bolt that hold the upper control arm in place. Loosen them (do not remove loosen only) to the point that either you see them move in. (That would be negative camber) if thats the way you need good, done. If you need positive pry outward (this can be a pain) Its easiest to move the bolts / control arm with the weight of the vehicle on the tires. If its a 4 wheeler well ..... ummm.... there may be aftermarket balljoints that will do it (There are for the Jeeps havent seen one for fullsize) and the teardown to do the balljoints is just the same as replaceing them. So you can adjust it your self BUT this is a job I would let someone that has the measuring equipment do it. Because there are other adjustments / angles you are changing at the same time. Those angles Caster and Toe ... Toe more than Caster will wear your tires out in nothing flat Wyatt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i apologize! -lushing- It's a 2WD, with the 318 V8.

thankfully, it's the easy one! Thank you for the info - and i will await any further (if not more detailed) instructions before breaking anything! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also - for clarification purposes.... My Front Passengerside tire is wearing more on the OUTSIDE of the tread (WAY more), and i know that it means the camber tilts the tire 'out at the top'... would that be considered positive or negative camber?

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
Out at the top is positive camber move it inward. Just try to move both in at the same time to adjust evenly. But moving the sliders in will also throw toe out the window. I realy recomend taking this to the shop and having it done profesionaly. Alignments are one of the few things that I don't do on my own rig because of lack of propre equipment to tell if its done correctly. 35 inch tirs are to expencive to burn with a bad alignment Wyatt

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i hear ya there (about prices of tires)

my only problems are: a) i hate letting other people put their hands in my baby... i want to know that _i_ am responsible, if there is fault to be laid. b) i'm broke as HELL right now... c) i have lots of time to tweak with it, so as long as i'm clear on HOW it works, i can work out ANY problem with it.

SO - to rephrase what you're saying (to make sure i got it right):

I have to adjust the upper control arm (the one that has 'slider' clamps on it, and spans from one tire to the other, right?) in order to change the camber, by loosening the bolts and pushing the tire in manually, and then tightening them back when adjusted??

...and when i do that, it will change my right/left alignment, so i have to adjust for THAT, too?

(sorry if i sound unschooled on the actual names of parts, but i'm not) :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts