Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to those who helped me earlier with rocker noise.
It would appear part of the problem was lack of oil due to the shaft being the wrong way round.
As to the play in the lifters, this appeared to be a couple of lifters that bled down fairly quickly.
Today I took the covers off again and there was no movement in any, but I had run it for awhile beforehand.
I also idled it with the covers off, and it would appear visually all rockers are working evenly, no obvious wiped lobe anyhow. I didn't actually measure them mind you.
What I did notice was all pushrods  spin, some very quickly some very slowly and variable.
Correct me if I'm wrong but if a lifter had not mated with the cam it would not spin at all?
Plus it would be normal for  the rod to not necessarily spin at the same rate as the lifter?
Anyhow while Ill monitor things I'm taking this as a positive sign the Cam did actually break in ok.

GDU.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the cam isn't what "spins" a push rod , and yes they should all turn , but how much, when, is not something to worry about AT ALL , its Not a good gauge of anything . don't go down that road any further :) the pumping up or draining down parked , yeah that  can become worse or better with more use , something to keep an ear on .. either some damage to new lifters has occurred OR they aren't such good lifters to start with , no way to guess , run it .  did the rockers , the shaft , or the valve tips look worn or damaged from running with little / no oil ? wear there CAN cause less lifter preload , and the symptoms of a bad lifter ...

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
Valvetrain looks fine, it was oiling just not what it should have been.
So, I must have misunderstood this, the cam is offset and the lifter dished which imparts a spin on the lifter.
This is necessary to ensure a much larger wear area over the bottom of the lifter?
This spin is imparted somewhat on the rod, how else would it get spin?

These are solid rods BTW.

Cheers,

Greg.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
a flat cam/lifter yes that's about the way it works , the lifter rotates some with each stroke , the idea was to even the wear on the bores/lifter/cam but that rotation is not exact nor is it expected to be . and yes the rods are solid , oiling the uppers is only thru the rocker shaft on a L/A motor .

·
Super Moderator
'79 Macho 360 Magnum, Comp 480 cam, Hughes springs, 650 Thunder AVS, Pertronix Flamethrower ignition
7,242 Posts
What do you mean that the cam is offset? And what do you mean that the lifters are dished? Dished lifters at the bottom on the flat part is bad. It means the lifter isn't rotating. Lifters need to rotate and so do the pushrods. If you have dished lifters, throw them away. You have bad lifters. Check your lifter bores if that's the case. Blocks suffer core shift all the time. It's important to check how free the cam spins inside the engine. Spin it in the engine with no lifters and no timing chain to check. When a lifter is on the ramp of the lobe or at the toe of the lobe, you won't be able to spin the pushrod but when the cam is on the heal of the lobe then you should be able to spin the rod.

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
if the clatter is gone , and only occurs for a few seconds/ moments when first started cold , quit worrying about it . I would have a tough time looking for core shift , its why I use used engines , not green blocks . 

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.