Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here i am again guys. 74 W100 with 69 318, had problem with ignition, huge timing change made huge improvement. now i am considering a change of cam and lifters. the 318 is pretty much stock, with a 340 intake and Carter Performance AFB. performance advance weight spring kit in distributor. i would like to find a cam with a little rough lope, but awesome low end torque (say idle to 4500 rpm's) what do you all think?

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
Got any idea on what cam speces u have now ? As ofr getting hte lope is cool but usuallthose cams are super high lift and suck for a truck .

I know Hughes makes a good cam though .

G

·
CompCams has the High Energy 268H which they state has a noticable idle in 318. Gross lift of only .454 inches. CC and others off "Nostalgia" cams that "sound like the sixties." In general, cams with lobe separation in the 108 to 110 degree range tend to have better lower rpm power and lumpier idles, particularly the 108's. Cams with 112-114 degree lobe separation tend to have smoother idle characteristics. Keep in mind that lift is secondary to lobe separation in determining idle quality. For example, CC's mild-mannered, computer-friendly cams are primarily .480-.512 lift, but 112-114 degree lobe separation. Regardless of your choice, be sure to use the matching valve springs.

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
BigT71 said:
i would like to find a cam with a little rough lope, but awesome low end torque (say idle to 4500 rpm's) what do you all think?
Sounds like you want a stock cam with a lope to me. Create a vacuum leak and you will get a rough idle. Thats as close as you can come with a power range of idle to 4500 rpms and lope. Just kidding. ;D

Use the Mopar Performance cam with 260/268 degrees duration and .430/.450 lift. It has a slight lope and has power from 1000 to 6000 rpm in a 318 as long as you have heads that can flow that good. I've used this cam in one 318 and a couple 360's and i really like it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one more question on this topic. what kind of Hp and torque improvement should i see by changing to a good cam and double roller timing chain?

G

·
The stock cam is so small, 30hp and lbs at peak would be an easy improvement over what you're getting now. More is possible with the right combo. In fact, with the right parts, a 318 will improve by 100hp with proper carb/intake/cam/exhaust, and will be fully streetable.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sounds like you want both ends of the spectrum in one package. Things to consider: vacuum for power brakes, emissions concerns, drivability. My suggestion is no more than the HE1523. www.hughesengines.com/cams/heh_guide.asp It is too easy to over cam a 318. Remember you are pulling 5000 pounds down the street from stop light to stop light. Let us know what cam you are looking at.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Vacuum for brakes is a good point but I don't think he is looking at anything big enough to worry about it. One thing I found when I was looking for the new cam for the 440 was that 95% of the cams offered now are for race cars. Torque and RPM ranges were all wrong for trucks. I would look at Hughes. They seem to have the right combinations. Either that or get what the others list as a RV cam. I think that would work for what you want to do.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
kyot said:
Vacuum for brakes is a good point but I don't think he is looking at anything big enough to worry about it. One thing I found when I was looking for the new cam for the 440 was that 95% of the cams offered now are for race cars. Torque and RPM ranges were all wrong for trucks. I would look at Hughes. They seem to have the right combinations. Either that or get what the others list as a RV cam. I think that would work for what you want to do.
while he is right that most manufacturers are listing their race cams alot of them still offer truck cams. also, what most list as their RV cams are chevy grinds, while these will work in dodge engines alot of them are set up for the cheb and ford smaller lifter profile.

lunati carries a good number of cams designed around dodge engines as well as hughes

eric

·
Premium Member
24,598 Posts
i think stock is like 244º or something. sometyhing in the 260s should be plenty fine. yes lobe separation can also make a difference. something like 108º or even some of them have 106º sounds lumpy but produces more low end power than a quieter "turbo grind" like 114º

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
joe swinehart said:
i think stock is like 244º or something. sometyhing in the 260s should be plenty fine. yes lobe separation can also make a difference. something like 108º or even some of them have 106º sounds lumpy but produces more low end power than a quieter "turbo grind" like 114º
ok just to clarify something here. most cams have 2 durations listed when you go to buy them. they will have an advertised duration and an @.050 duration. if oyu are wanting low end power do not get a cam that has a 260 duration @.050

you will want an @.050 duration below 220

anything much higher than that and the power band wont come in until the rpm's are getting pretty high

eric

1 - 12 of 12 Posts