Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
NOPE won't run for crap. ditch the TBI and go carb then you can do what you want. Or just get a pre TBI 318 or 360.  ;)

If you ditch the TBI yopu will need to get an electric fuel pump or spot weld an eccentric to the cam to run a manual fuel pump.

·
Super Moderator
14,344 Posts
Moparfanatic said:
Will the tbi system on a 318 support a stock 340 cam?
Don't waste your money trying to hot rod the factory TBI. The cost and effort to payout ratio is terrible. If you have access to cheap/free parts, you can use all the 360 TBI components along with the 360 roller cam.

And, if you're doing that, you might as well use the 360 engine. And, if you're going to do an engine swap, you might as well do the Magnum swap instead. Take the advice of someone who's swapped 3 engines and has a stroker in the third and done a transmission swap all in the same truck.

·
Registered
52,879 Posts
ToxicDoc said:
Don't waste your money trying to hot rod the factory TBI. The cost and effort to payout ratio is terrible. If you have access to cheap/free parts, you can use all the 360 TBI components along with the 360 roller cam.

And, if you're doing that, you might as well use the 360 engine. And, if you're going to do an engine swap, you might as well do the Magnum swap instead. Take the advice of someone who's swapped 3 engines and has a stroker in the third and done a transmission swap all in the same truck.
yeah what he said! ;D

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
agreed , a properly working 318 tbi can be a dependable unit . But that's about where it ends , power will always be eh low , and fuel mileage eh poor .  Understand the tbi system was the later part of a transition from carbs TO multi port injection . It was made to operate , using the central air fuel mix location like a carb , created by injectors like mpi fuel injection ... It would be better IF the controls had a wider range of adjustment , but the programing does not have enough range . 

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The programing sucks.  Why would he need a electric fuel pump there is already one inside the gas tank all he would need is a return style fuel pressure regulator.  And also there wouldn't be any welding of anything all you do is get a cam snout extension and eccentric and bolt it on.          But yes a 360 mag would be the way to go

·
Registered
13,500 Posts
the electric pump he needs for a carb costs 20-25 dollars ,6 psi ,  the regulator , is 3 times that much , some of the earlier cams still had the pump eccentric lenght , some early tbi timming chain covers have the hole for a mechanical pump BUT some have NO hole or place for a mech pump . 

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Yeah some have long snout, some maby still the ecentric. I thought the timing cover switched w/ the magnum. But also didn't the first early magnum blocks still have the oil holes that ran up to the head. Then u could use a shaft style rocker head. They were just covered by a mag head gasket?          Yeah true w/price of fuel pump, but i would still like the intank pump

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I appreciate everyone’s input. I’ll likely put a carb on another 318 I have and use it. I’ve got all the applicable non efi stuff on my parts truck including a gas tank.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
The roller cam  tbi engine is a better engine w/a little more compression. And also has swirl port (BETTER HEADS)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.