Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find out stock cam lift duration and advance on an 86 Ramcharger 360, and the max the stock valve springs can handle......any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also wondering what cam and lifter packages others have had success with ????
Thinking along the llines of a Mopar M1 intake, street demon carb, and a cam and lifter setup in this area,
Lift 443/465
Adv. duration 280/290
Duration @.050" 214/224
Lobe sep. 107/117
and probably 1.6 Roller rockers, with moly shafts.
Any help or input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
First things first, after reading another post of yours I'm confused, EXACTLY WHAT YEAR TRUCK? Both times your name and sig say 89, but yer posts refer to an 86.......

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
That cam is a generic cam with chevy lobes on a chrysler cam. Mopars have bigger lifters and can take faster and more aggressive lift. Try a Hughes or Mopar Performance cam. Definitely replace the springs. The factory springs can't handle anymore then stock. Stock 360 specs are 252 degrees duration on intake and exhaust and .410 lift for both.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The truck is a 86, 360 carbed Ramcharger SE

·
Registered
537 Posts
My vote is for the HEH 1523 AL on the Hughes website. Remember, you are pushing over 2 ton of iron down the street.
www.hughesengines.com/cams/sb_heh.asp

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Are the springs really that big of a concern, and what kind of pain in the rear am I lookng at if I try to do the springs with the heads still assembled, thinking that little air thing in the spark plug hole does seem all that trust worthy to me.

440 Ramcharger, man thats a heck of a big cam was thinking of the one I posted because they said it still maintains good idle quality and low RPM driveability

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
89RCDC,

exactly what are you wanting to do with this rc?

do oyu want high rpm horse power or low rpm torque?

do you plan on racing thsi rc or towing?

if oyu could give us an idea of what you are planning then we could give oyu a better idea of what to go with

eric

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right on,

I want it to not feel like it cant get out of its own way, and pull a utility split deck trailer with a 3000lb race car on it.
The thing actually pulls pretty well, would of course just like a little more from it. Torque is a plus HP is fun, I wanna be able to pull a race car with confidence, down the highway, and pull a stump out of the ground whenever I wanna.

Is that asking to much ;D

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
89 Ram Charger DC said:
Right on,

I want it to not feel like it cant get out of its own way, and pull a utility split deck trailer with a 3000lb race car on it.
The thing actually pulls pretty well, would of course just like a little more from it. Torque is a plus HP is fun, I wanna be able to pull a race car with confidence, down the highway, and pull a stump out of the ground whenever I wanna.

Is that asking to much ;D
ok lets try this then, something in the .210 duration department along with about a .450 lift or so on a 110 centerline, combine this with a good 750 cfm carb and a good dual plane manifold.

this should put you in the 250+hp range and should put you over 300 lb/ft pretty easily.

the cam i am running is putting me right about 248 hp and well over 300 foot pounds, and is a 209/220 with a 429/444 it has a 114 lobe seperation with an advertised 112/116 centerlines installed at 108/120. i am also running a 750 cfm performer carb with dual 2.5 inch exhaust.

hope that helps a bit

eric

·
Premium Member
5,548 Posts
89 Ram Charger DC said:
Are the springs really that big of a concern, and what kind of pain in the rear am I lookng at if I try to do the springs with the heads still assembled, thinking that little air thing in the spark plug hole does seem all that trust worthy to me.

440 Ramcharger, man thats a heck of a big cam was thinking of the one I posted because they said it still maintains good idle quality and low RPM driveability
Yes change the springs with anything bigger then stock. The stock springs weren't adequate for high RPM with stock cam. With a Hughes cam you wont' need 1.6 rockers. That cam you listed in your first post will have a slight lope to it and will pull about 14-15 inches of vacuum. Buy a "in the car" valve spring compressor. Use the air trick or take rope and push it down the spark plug hole and turn the engine by hand till it compresses up against the valves to hold them up. Before you do any of that though take a hammer and tap on all the valve retainers to break the sludge and stuff holding them together. Using the hammer before you start is very important or you will be fighting it trying to get the keepers out.

G

·
The on-the-car spring tool works great if you get a good tool. Pay the extra bucks and get a quality tool. Something else I found very useful when I did this was a telescopic probe with a magnet on the end. Sometimes, one of the retainer lock halves will drop down and kinda get stuck. Then, you need one hand free to get it, and with the magnet, you can get it close, wiggle the tool with compressed spring and retainer in place, gain a little space, and the retainer will fly loose and stay on the magnet. Cuts the chances of dropping it into the engine. When tapping the retainers, be sure to do it with controlled motion. You don't want to fly off and damage the end of the valve if you can help it.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I have the HE1423 in my Big Block. The HE 1523 is the newer version of cam.On the Hughes website, this is listed as basic guidelines for that Camshaft. Light car, mild street: medium to heavy towing or RV. Dual exhaust or headers, 4 bbl carb. Street gearing 3.00 to 3.55:1. 150psi suggested cylinder pressure. Good idle, resto/cruiser. Hot daily driver, mileage OK. Does this sound like it fits the bill for you? It works well in the 440. I have great vacuum for the brakes, passes emissions, idles close to smooth. My setup is rated at 499 ft. lbs torque at 2000 rpm, and 364 HP at 4000+ rpm. You MUST use their springs (do it right) and have the heavy duty stamped rocker arms. Read the website for particulars.

·
Premium Member
17,219 Posts
440Ramcharger said:
I have the HE1423 in my Big Block. The HE 1523 is the newer version of cam.On the Hughes website, this is listed as basic guidelines for that Camshaft. Light car, mild street: medium to heavy towing or RV. Dual exhaust or headers, 4 bbl carb. Street gearing 3.00 to 3.55:1. 150psi suggested cylinder pressure. Good idle, resto/cruiser. Hot daily driver, mileage OK. Does this sound like it fits the bill for you? It works well in the 440. I have great vacuum for the brakes, passes emissions, idles close to smooth. My setup is rated at 499 ft. lbs torque at 2000 rpm, and 364 HP at 4000+ rpm. You MUST use their springs (do it right) and have the heavy duty stamped rocker arms. Read the website for particulars.
the problem here is what might work well in your 440 will probably not work as well in a 360, about the same as what is a mild cam in a 360 coudl be a race cam in a 318.

eric

·
Registered
537 Posts
If you go with your suggestions; the 1.6 ratio rockers, make sure that you have piston clearance and don't bind up the valve springs. I am guessing that the lift you stated is with 1.5 ratio rockers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts