Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting my 440 block and heads back from the machine shop soon and will be putting in a new cam.They have replaced the cam bearings.I am hoping to re ring and seal the motor and be done with it.Heads were redone at some point in the past and everything is within spec.Bore wear is .007 and pistons are ok...not much scuffing.What do you think of this Elgin  cam? Cheap enough at $87.....

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If I have to bore and replace pistons I will go with a set of Sealed Power 350NP-030 w/moly rings @ $348. They are near stock weight with a bit more compression.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I ran that exact cam in a 71 383 with very low compression.  Ran great- got 15 mpg on highway at 65mph with it in a 67 coronet with 2.94 gears.  Its a older grind but would make a 440 a stump puller. 

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Good stuff guys, I've got a low compression motor home 440 that I just want low end torque. As much on the bottom as I can get.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well....I have decided to invest in the bottom end of this motor. ::) I am going to get a set of Wiseco Pro Tru pistons and moly rings #PTS531A3. Only $92.77 more than the stock 350np's @ $411.Will probably have to re-balance. I am also going to buy the 440 Source rods at $250 and use Clevite 77 bearings. I've already got a Melling HV oil pump. What other suggestions do you have to spend my money on this bottom end? ;D  I will use mls head gaskets to reduce the CR a bit and probably use the stock cam with all stock valve train parts for now.I am not going to put another dollar into the heads,intake ect.If finances allow I will get some aluminum heads next year to go with the fuel injection.The SUN-6400 cam is cheap at $71...don't know if it is right? Please feel free to tell me what I am forgetting/missing...many thanks!

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Mr onetwo said:
Well....I have decided to invest in the bottom end of this motor. ::) I am going to get a set of Wiseco Pro Tru pistons and moly rings #PTS531A3. Only $92.77 more than the stock 350np's @ $411.Will probably have to re-balance. I am also going to buy the 440 Source rods at $250 and use Clevite 77 bearings. I've already got a Melling HV oil pump. What other suggestions do you have to spend my money on this bottom end? ;D I will use mls head gaskets to reduce the CR a bit and probably use the stock cam with all stock valve train parts for now.I am not going to put another dollar into the heads,intake ect.If finances allow I will get some aluminum heads next year to go with the fuel injection.The SUN-6400 cam is cheap at $71...don't know if it is right? Please feel free to tell me what I am forgetting/missing...many thanks!
Why do you want to lower your compression ratio for?
If your thinking of aluminum heads any time soon... you want more compression.
And you'll want more cam to go along with the better flow of those heads.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to get the Summit SUM-6400 cam and lifter kit as it is better than stock and you can't beat the price at $117.My question is how should I install the cam for my application...straight up or advanced?Also, it is a cast crank motor...what should I do about balancing?I don't have the rods yet, but when they arrive I will weigh both new and old assemblies and post up the difference.Also any thoughts on what I should do about a distributor and the ignition timing.Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Mr onetwo said:
I am going to get the Summit SUM-6400 cam and lifter kit as it is better than stock and you can't beat the price at $117.My question is how should I install the cam for my application...straight up or advanced?Also, it is a cast crank motor...what should I do about balancing?I don't have the rods yet, but when they arrive I will weigh both new and old assemblies and post up the difference.Also any thoughts on what I should do about a distributor and the ignition timing.Thanks in advance for your help!
Install the cam using a degree wheel to the specs that come on the cam card. I would probably use a more modern cam grind like the ones available from Comp or Lunati, but they are a bit more pricey:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl21-402-4/overview/make/dodge

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10230701lk/overview/make/dodge

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
ProjectPW said:
Install the cam using a degree wheel to the specs that come on the cam card. I would probably use a more modern cam grind like the ones available from Comp or Lunati, but they are a bit more pricey:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-cl21-402-4/overview/make/dodge

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lun-10230701lk/overview/make/dodge
Yeah. I'm from the school of if you want the better stuff... be patient- save your money- then pull the trigger.
You'll always kick yourself in the rear later when you settle for something less.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good points on cam choice but, I do not want to put another cent into the heads and alot of the more modern cams require new valve springs and head machining.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.