Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any differences in axle shaft dimensions or spline counts on 80-93 3/4 tons?

I called a JY today looking for the driver side inner and outer axle for my stepdad's plow truck. I told them it was an 85 (I can't find the paperwork for it so I'm not 100% on the year) and they said they didn't have any and that 85-86 are non-interchangeable with other 44 HDs from 80-93 according to their computer. Is there any truth behind this?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Does anyone have any input on this to confirm or deny what they JY told me? When I look on car-parts.com it shows axles being compatible from the early 80s to the 90s. I'm kind of believing that over what that guy told me, but I'd hate to actually buy it and find out that he was right and it won't work for me.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I'm not sure if this is relevant for 3/4 tons, but somewhere along the line, the bearing surface for the driver's side went from the end of the axle tube to the inboard side of the CAD housing.

On the '85 axle I had, the bearing surface was at the outboard end of the axle tube.
On the '91 axle I had, the bearing surface was at the inboard side of the CAD housing.

Somewhere here, there's a thread with pics of each axle shaft.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cooper30 said:
Thanks for the links, I never considered there being a difference like that! I just checked the axle shaft, The bearing goes on the end near the yoke, so it looks like I really do need an axle from a 85-87 44 hd. That pretty much sucks because it really will be harder to find what I need:(

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I have another idea. Since this is a plow truck, I don't really care what it looks like as long as it works. Are there any differences in axle tube length between a regular and HD 44 srw front?

If not, I have a 5 lug 44 with blown spider gears. We could pull the outers and axles off of that and throw them under the front of the plow truck.

·
Premium Member
16,239 Posts
I've never had a 44HD, but someone on here must know.

I'm curious now to learn what the differences are between the axle shafts on the HD and reg.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
Generally speaking the 3/4 ton D44HDs are a little narrower than the 1/2 ton D44 version.  I believe they have the same width WMS to WMS but the larger hubs on the 8 lug version requires a slightly narrower housing and therefore the shafts will be shorter.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
After checking the Parts Manual, the shafts are different though the innermost shaft on the CAD side is the same in both versions.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Elwenil said:
Generally speaking the 3/4 ton D44HDs are a little narrower than the 1/2 ton D44 version. I believe they have the same width WMS to WMS but the larger hubs on the 8 lug version requires a slightly narrower housing and therefore the shafts will be shorter.
What is WMS and WMS?

I understand that the shafts are shorter, but right now I'm asking if the complete axle housing assembly is the same length from the end of one axle tube to the other axle tube. If it's the same length for the 5 and 8 lugs, then I should be able to essentially convert the 8 lug 44 to a 5 lug 44 by using the 5 lug outers and axles, right?

*I will eventually probably have to measure them, but I won't be able to compare the two for at least a week and I'd like to find out sooner if possible so I know if I'll have to keep looking for the right axle.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WMS = wheel mounting surface, correct? If so then the tubes will indeed be shorter and I will indeed have to keep looking for an 85-87 44hd axle shaft assy.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cooper30 said:
I've never had a 44HD, but someone on here must know.

I'm curious now to learn what the differences are between the axle shafts on the HD and reg.
Apparently the difference is the length of the axle shafts and tubes. The 44hd actually has shorter of each because it shares the same wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface width as the 5 lug 44s, but has a thicker hub assembly.

Also, I looked on that website again, apparently I looked for the wrong sides axleshafts because when I did a search for the Left hand shaft, I only got 4 hits and they ranged from 85-87, so apparently those model year 44hds were like the standard ones with the bearing race on the outer end.

·
Super Moderator
29,558 Posts
As far as I know all 8 lug D44s are D44HDs.  They all have a narrower housing than the 5 lug D44.  It stands to reason that if the tube is shorter, the shaft must be also since the axle joint has to bend at the same point as the ball joints.

Near as I can tell the short side inner shaft on a D44HD is the same from '80-'93.  For the CAD side, the innermost axle shaft between the differential and the CAD coupling is the same from late '84-'93.  For some reason the outer left side shaft is different from '88 on up.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Elwenil said:
As far as I know all 8 lug D44s are D44HDs. They all have a narrower housing than the 5 lug D44. It stands to reason that if the tube is shorter, the shaft must be also since the axle joint has to bend at the same point as the ball joints.

Near as I can tell the short side inner shaft on a D44HD is the same from '80-'93. For the CAD side, the innermost axle shaft between the differential and the CAD coupling is the same from late '84-'93. For some reason the outer left side shaft is different from '88 on up.
Yup, that's pretty much what I've figured out from what I've found. It wasn't until I got some replies on this thread that I knew what questions to ask and where to look.

I emailed some JY's around the country that list them in their inventory, maybe they won't cost too much to ship and I'll be all set!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts