Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does that Cable Lock setup work on the CAD on a Dakota?

The Vacuum setup works, but i don't like it. Takes too long to lock the front axle in, and takes about a mile of driving to unlock the front.

If the Cable Lock works for the CAD IFS on a Dakota i'm gonna replace the motor with a Cable Lock and connect it to the Shifter Linkage, so it locks in the Front anytime the T-Case Shifter isn't in 2-High.

EDIT :

Oh and this is for Kthaxton, he wanted to know where the CAD Motor was on a Dakota (in a different post). You can see it if you look down the right side of the engine at the Differential, under the Exhaust Manifold.

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
l dont see why not its the SAME vacuum motor
Awesome, Thanks Deano 8)

EDIT :

I got to looking at a picture of the Posi-Lok system, there aint much to it. I think i'll just yank the CAD Motor off a truck at the Junkyard and build my own out of spare parts and stuff i have here at the garage.

The hardest part will probably be adding some linkage to the Transfer Case Shifter to Lock the Axle when the shifter is pulled out of 2-High. But i think i've got that figured out (in my head at least)

·
29,380 Posts
ChrisKD said:
Oh and this is for Kthaxton, he wanted to know where the CAD Motor was on a Dakota (in a different post). You can see it if you look down the right side of the engine at the Differential, under the Exhaust Manifold.
Weird, i swear my 96 didn't have one, either they made a change or I am blind/dumb.

·
Registered
29,712 Posts
KThaxton said:
Weird, i swear my 96 didn't have one, either they made a change or I am blind/dumb.
l,m not gonna say anything about the statement above but this / yes certain trucks had no CAD / l,ve seen the same year trucks with and without it / my 96 AUTOMAG does not nor does my 98 DAK

·
Registered
29,712 Posts
heres some more info for you KT / l found this out while STILL looking for a t-case for my 98 DAK without CAD / the non-CAD trucks are considered HD [ plow-towing package ] and use a "different" t-case compared to the CAD trucks / even though its still a np231 t-case / from what l found out it has a wider chain and better oiling system for the full-time non-CAD trucks / l have a CAD t-case in there now and after 3 months its starting to make noises already and popping out of low and high 4x4 / l guess the CAD t-case cant take the constant full-time spinning / l have yet to find a non-CAD t-case because there pretty RARE

·
Registered
8,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
231HD you say?  Whats to keep me from swapping one of those in my truck when i do the 5-Speed Conversion?  Or is it bolt in.

There's about 20+ Dakotas in the local junkyard, one of em is bound to have a 231HD

·
29,380 Posts
ChrisKD said:
231HD you say? Whats to keep me from swapping one of those in my truck when i do the 5-Speed Conversion? Or is it bolt in.
I dunno, I just drove mine, I didn't play with it. :p

Just a disclaimer......I think mine was an HD, not positive though. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts