Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what changed between 1985 and 1986 pickup trucks? Everywhere I look for new replacement cab mount bushings, they only list 1972-1985 pickups. What's the difference between those and 1986-1993? I've asked the question to Energy Suspension, but the reply I got was they don't have a listing for 1986-1993. I need some replacement bushings for my 1992 frame and can't seem to find any answers anywhere.

Also, what would happen if one would swap a 1985 and older body onto a 1986-1993 frame? Would this work? what bushings would one use?

Thanks!

·
Registered
12,472 Posts
the reason is the t-case is set back like 5 inches . I would think the 85 bushings would work though .

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I have bought 3 sets of urathane bushings from Energy Suspensions......the last set 4 months ago.

The body ones were either 5.4101 or 5.4102...can't remember which and for the t-case I used 9.4101 and remade the bottom plate. Just needed new size holes the match the bushing shoulder. If you do this measure carefully because the mount is slightly offset to the one side.

·
7,995 Posts
I'm still looking into this...i think that the Ramcharger Bushings will work for all mounts except one up front near the radiator..the RC kit has more bushings and some wont be used and is more expensive. The only differences I see right now are the one front mount and there is a difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton vs the 1 ton. I should have some more info sometime this weekend.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The one for p/u is 5.4101

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
The one for p/u is 5.4101

·
7,995 Posts
Looks like the reason there is NO 1986 kit is because of a mid year production change. The change ocurred on 01/06/1986. I do not know what the physical differences are, but all 3 posiitons of the top mount part numbers were changed. As of 1987 it looks like all the bushings were the same thru 1993 for the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.

The RC had a change on 02/03/1986 to the top front radiator support mount only.

Seems to me that they should make a kit for 87-93 and add a note in the catalog to call Customer Service for info on the 1986 models and ask you for a build date.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
I have used the same kit on my 92 deisel, my 81 shortbox with 91 cab, and my 92 deisel frame with 85 cab.

The only differences I have seen between the trucks is the bolt styles, some from the top and some from the bottom. So far, the ones that come up from the bottom, have been metric

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
kyot said:
I have used the same kit on my 92 deisel, my 81 shortbox with 91 cab, and my 92 deisel frame with 85 cab.

The only differences I have seen between the trucks is the bolt styles, some from the top and some from the bottom. So far, the ones that come up from the bottom, have been metric
The bolt mounting is what I've noticed too. I'm trying to put a '78 cab on a '92 diesel frame, but can't seem to find anything that is obviously different... and seeing as you've gone older cab to newer chassis, and newer cab on older chassis with no problems, then, I don't think there's anything for me to worry about.

I also just found that http://www.p-s-t.com/ has cab mount kits, and they list as fitting '72-'93 2WD and 4WD pickups and Ramchargers 100-300 models... either they have extra parts in them, or missing some parts for some applications... anybody use those?

As for transfercase mounts... yeah, I would like to find some poly ones, mine are like jello (92 diesel 4x4). :-[

·
7,995 Posts
Overdrive said:
kyot said:

The bolt mounting is what I've noticed too. I'm trying to put a '78 cab on a '92 diesel frame, but can't seem to find anything that is obviously different... and seeing as you've gone older cab to newer chassis, and newer cab on older chassis with no problems, then, I don't think there's anything for me to worry about.

I also just found that http://www.p-s-t.com/ has cab mount kits, and they list as fitting '72-'93 2WD and 4WD pickups and Ramchargers 100-300 models... either they have extra parts in them, or missing some parts for some applications... anybody use those?

As for transfercase mounts... yeah, I would like to find some poly ones, mine are like jello (92 diesel 4x4). :-[
Well, you just wanted to know what the problem was and I found out for you. This may be that some of the engineers or legal departments at some companies do not want to sign up for a "universal" type kit and have chosen not to offer them? Anytime a product is released to the public it must be approved by "Gawd"! I did notice that the kit at PST was $75 where some of the other kits are only $50, so maybe it has more parts?

·
Premium Member
12,766 Posts
BrianT said:
the reason is the t-case is set back like 5 inches . I would think the 85 bushings would work though .
why is that? change of Transmsions? to the OD units? or T-case?

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BrianT said:
Yeah, but how come the cab mounts are different because of a transfercase relocation? The two seem unrelated when looking at a bare frame and under the cab.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
[quote author=Overdrive

I'll try to see what the # is for the poly mounts we found for the 205. It's not an actual t-case mount but a mount from another vehicle that has the exact same dimensions as the 205 mounts.

·
Premium Member
5,022 Posts
Oooppps. The mounts we use are for the divorced 205. You could probably use the same ones I use for 203's and 208's......Energy Suspension # 9-4101

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cool... I'll have a look at those T/C mounts. I'll see if the local speed shop can get those in for me. I'll also try getting a body mount kit.. possibly from PST once I get the 78 cab off it's frame.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts