Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
any update on this
hey dodge boys! thanks for checking in. I'm hooking up everything today. Finally got all of the extra parts and vacuum hoses. I had a CCEGR (vacuum control valve on the intake manifold) on order forever on ebay and it took a long time to come in from texas. Wish me luck on the install. Just sawzall'd the vacuum amplifier mounting plate and mounted it on the head. Once everything is hooked up, is there an easy way to test that its all working? I have a brake bleeder/vacuum tester gauge. I bought a new EGR valve but once I pulled the old one, I tested it and it still works as well, so I know that much, but I'm not sure how to test the vacuum amplifer. There's tons of ports on that thing haha. Hoping I hook it all up correctly.

Once it's hooked up, would I just rev the truck to 2k rpms and watch the egr valve to see if it moves? Seems like the easiest test to me but I wanted to check.

Another thing, the previous EGR valve was left installed and not hooked up. It was extremely loose (to the point where I could shake it with my hand). This leads me to believe that it could have been sucking in air through this port originally since it was loose and connected to the intake. Is this true? The truck ran great even like this so it makes me think maybe the port is clogged (decent amount of carbon builup, but not a ton). I'm wondering if there's any way to clean all of this out without taking off the whole manifold. Would love someone's more educated opinion on this though, I'm a pretty greenhorn mechanic, just doing my best to learn. Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Sorry, looks like my old computer posted this twice. Can't seem to figure out how to delete it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update - I installed the new EGR valve and pulled a vacuum with the tester directly on the egr. It's definitely slowing down the idle speed now significantly when I pull a vacuum so the valve definitely works and there is nothing blocking the intake or exhaust. Now I just need to hook up the rest of the vacuum equipment and hope that it's all working as well.

·
Registered
28,053 Posts
to test all this stuff like the CCEGR valve you need your vacuum gauge and a pan of hot water / the vacuum Amp is just that , you hook to the right nipple and is AMPLIFIES the vacuum signal [ you need to either hook it to the motor or two vacuum gauges ]

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
to test all this stuff like the CCEGR valve you need your vacuum gauge and a pan of hot water / the vacuum Amp is just that , you hook to the right nipple and is AMPLIFIES the vacuum signal [ you need to either hook it to the motor or two vacuum gauges ]
There are 5 different ports on the back of the vac amp, is the way you hook this up important at all? or do they all lead to the same place? Any chance you could identify where each port is meant to go? I have a decent idea from looking at my diagrams in the service manual but its not specific at all. Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
28,053 Posts
There are 5 different ports on the back of the vac amp, is the way you hook this up important at all? or do they all lead to the same place? Any chance you could identify where each port is meant to go? I have a decent idea from looking at my diagrams in the service manual but its not specific at all. Thanks so much in advance!

its not specific because its a "molded plug" and it has FORMED lines that its almost impossible to screw up [ but thats Only if you have the vacuum harness that hooks to it ] if you DONT have it l have NO CLUE

·
Registered
28,053 Posts
without the vacuum harness it pretty much a CRAP shoot to hook it up

·
Registered
28,053 Posts
your gonna need someone with all the stuff hooked up for pictures and diagrams

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
your gonna need someone with all the stuff hooked up for pictures and diagrams
Sorry Dodge boys I should have been more clear! I have the harness that came off a junk yard car, but all the hoses were cut. The hoses are all color coded which should help by cross referencing the manual. I was planning on using the original harness with plastic vacuum line connectors and new vacuum lines. Here's some pics of what I have -

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Quick update - my friend scott who has a 77' ramcharger with a 360 lives up in Sacramento a couple of hours from me. I'm going to have him run all his vacuum hoses and see where they hook up for me. Thanks Dodgeboys! I'll let you know when I get it all sorted.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts