Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels and Mopar banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang,

I'm having trouble sourcing all of the smog parts for my 1977 Ramcharger. It's a CA truck but the previous owner removed a lot of the equipment and disconnected the EGR. I failed a smog test last week and the smog tech told me to "get the EGR and everything it connects to". I have a "heavy duty 5.9L 360" it has the original carb, intake etc. I've included the inner fender sticker and a page from the service manual of all of the parts I need. Thanks in advance. If anyone has that smog stuff lying around and wants to sell it to me, please do!

Attachments

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
161 Posts
I have a few bits but it may be easier to find something from a junkyard or someone who has it all. exactly what parts are you missing? If I remember right the EGR Valve can still be bought but for some weird year so the vacuum fitting is in a weird spot. the Charcoal can from a K20 fits well (Standard Motor Products CP1022). One fitting needs run to fresh air though.

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
all the parts you need you can get off any 318 from 1977 to 1987 , l,m NOT sayin the calibration will be the same the the LOOKS will be the same , as they used the same items thru all the years

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
KG5JXO said:
I have a few bits but it may be easier to find something from a junkyard or someone who has it all. exactly what parts are you missing? If I remember right the EGR Valve can still be bought but for some weird year so the vacuum fitting is in a weird spot. the Charcoal can from a K20 fits well (Standard Motor Products CP1022). One fitting needs run to fresh air though.
I appreciate the heads up on the Charcoal filter. I have one but it looks old and non functional at best. I actually have the original EGR valve, but I'm missing all of the parts on the left side of the diagram. (Solenoid, vacuum amplifier, and vacuum reservoir)

Another question, will these parts actually effect my smog test results? Or is it purely just slap these in there to get a visual check?

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
tdawg said:
Another question, will these parts actually effect my smog test results? Or is it purely just slap these in there to get a visual check?
l answered that question above

·
Super Moderator
14,064 Posts
tdawg said:
Another question, will these parts actually effect my smog test results?
yes

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
[quote =Another question, will these parts actually effect my smog test results?

only by NOT having them , all the parts your missing are common emission parts , the ONLY one that is calibrated is the Temp vacuum sensor and they still make it brand new see link and picture for interchange numbers

https://www.napaonline.com/en/search?input-q=5.9+L+360+CID+V8&q=N%3D10197700%2B5002000%2B5002200%2B200220600%2B2802456%2B402201400%2B599999900%26Nty%3D1&referer=nol-veh-conds] EGR temp vacuum sender

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Last question, does anyone know if my truck came with a smog pump? I’m not seeing it or the diverted valve showing up on my emissions sticker so I’m thinking not but wanted to be sure. Thanks!

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
tdawg said:
Last question, does anyone know if my truck came with a smog pump? I'm not seeing it or the diverted valve showing up on my emissions sticker so I'm thinking not but wanted to be sure. Thanks!
yup if it aint on the sticker you dont need it

·
Registered
1975 W100 Power Wagon Adventurer Sport 318 727 NP203 3.55
161 Posts
tdawg said:
I appreciate the heads up on the Charcoal filter. I have one but it looks old and non functional at best. I actually have the original EGR valve, but I'm missing all of the parts on the left side of the diagram. (Solenoid, vacuum amplifier, and vacuum reservoir)
if you have an original I believe they make a kit to rebuild it though it likely still works. if its attached to the carb still your definitely fine but I'd recommend you stick a cheap fuel filter between it and the carb in case it fails. I used an old one since the truck was due for a new filter anyway.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
KG5JXO said:
if you have an original I believe they make a kit to rebuild it though it likely still works. if its attached to the carb still your definitely fine but I'd recommend you stick a cheap fuel filter between it and the carb in case it fails. I used an old one since the truck was due for a new filter anyway.
Thanks for the tip! I'll see if it's still hooked up. Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't.

·
Registered
3 Posts
tdawg said:
Last question, does anyone know if my truck came with a smog pump? I'm not seeing it or the diverted valve showing up on my emissions sticker so I'm thinking not but wanted to be sure. Thanks!
I have the exact same sticker on my 77 and I have a smog pump. They are not noted on the sticker.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yellowd100 said:
I have the exact same sticker on my 77 and I have a smog pump. They are not noted on the sticker.
Do you also have vacuum lines that connect to your exhaust manifold?

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
tdawg said:
Do you also have vacuum lines that connect to your exhaust manifold?
thats the "heat riser system" and is NOT an emission control device , it connects to another intake vacuum temp sensor to close the exhaust off so it heats the bottom on the intake so it warms up faster

if l where you l,d just deal with what the inspector wants and NOTHING else , at least here in MA [ same emissions as Cali ] if the inspector misses something on his first inspection then he CAN NOT bring it up on later inspections [ basically they gotta do their job right the first time and not be lazy ] as they can ONLY recheck whats on the initial report and Nothing else

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
thats the "heat riser system" and is NOT an emission control device , it connects to another intake vacuum temp sensor to close the exhaust off so it heats the bottom on the intake so it warms up faster

if l where you l,d just deal with what the inspector wants and NOTHING else , at least here in MA [ same emissions as Cali ] if the inspector misses something on his first inspection then he CAN NOT bring it up on later inspections [ basically they gotta do their job right the first time and not be lazy ] as they can ONLY recheck whats on the initial report and Nothing else
That's good advice. I appreciate that. I already failed smog once, the only thing they told me to do was fix the EGR. I have all of the parts for that on order so hopefully that does the trick. Thanks!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DODGEBOYS said:

Okay I got a bunch of parts in the mail. Two different vacuum reservoirs, a small one on the attached bracket and a larger one. Which one is the correct one? Is there an easy way to test these parts to see if they're working before I hook them up? Does the solenoid on the right hook directly into the EGR time delay module somehow? (pictured below) If so, how? Sorry for all the questions, I'm having trouble finding any info on any of these parts because most people just pull them all out.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
dont need the large one in your hand , bolt all the other stuff on , there should be a plug for the solenoid , then just follow your emission sticker you posted and your done , the amplifier should be marked for where the hoses hook up 

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
DODGEBOYS said:
dont need the large one in your hand , bolt all the other stuff on , there should be a plug for the solenoid , then just follow your emission sticker you posted and your done , the amplifier should be marked for where the hoses hook up
awesome, thank you dodgeboys!!

·
Registered
28,128 Posts
any update on this

1 - 20 of 47 Posts