Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a "ping controller" from MSD which is a direct replacement for the mopar module This unit has the same plug in but has an extra 2 pin connector for the msd dial for advance / retard. It is Part # 8786 (msd). In the instructions they state
"To realize full power of the Ping Control we recommend that you use the two jumper wires supplied in the parts kit to bypass the ballast resistor in the vehicle. This will increase the power in the spark by at least 2 times above that supplied by your original factory ignition."
The diagram for this shows a 4 conector ballast resistor being jumped with 2 wires. Any opinions on what this will do regarding starting and coil overload?

·
Premium Member
26,070 Posts
Well i always jump the ballast on the factory ignition system without a problem, on a MSD system i always bypassed the ballast also.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Bypassing the ballast with a stock coil is not recommended. If msd recommends that you can do that with their system, you should be fine. Factory coils are not designed to run on a full 12 volts. It sends 12 volts during cranking (bypasses the ballast), and then once the key is in the run position, it runs through the resistor. I have bypassed the ballast on stock ignitions for short periods of time, but I can't attest to the long term durability of that setup. I certainly did not notice a performance gain.
william

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.