Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday is was out driving on the beach in my '98 Ram 1500 4x4 with a 360 and auto tranny. after about 30 to 45 minutes, I started smelling burning rubber (which I thought was wierd, because I was driving in sand) and I smelled it until I got back on the road. At first I thought it might have been the truck in front of me, but then it pulled off to the side and I still smelled it when I was by myself. I wasn't ragging on my truck too hard, I was in 1st 2nd gear going between 25 and 40 mph, sninning the tires every now and again. I guess it may have been the belt slipping, but I didn't hear any squealing. Does anyone have any ideas on this one?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NO, but I'll check today to see what I can see.

·
2,317 Posts
how about your converter? had the same smell with my 90 dakota.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
bummo thats sick..but funny.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I haven't smelled it since, it probably was something that got stuck to my exhaust. I was worried that it may have been the torque converter, but it seems fine now. How else would I be able to tell if the converter is going to hell?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oh...i shoulda known. you probably couldn't smell the torque convertor burning anyhow. i'm a dumbass...

·
2,317 Posts
my bad, should have said it in the first post. are you losing power going up a good size hill?

·
Registered
766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I don't know, it's pretty flat out here in coastal North Carolina. j/k. I went out of town a couple weeks ago, I didn't notice any power loss on the hills, I'm going again this weekend, so I'll pay closer attention. One thing I remember though, my truck usually runs at about 180 degrees, when I was on the beach, it was running around 200 to 210, not over heating, but maybe enough extra heat to burn up some deposits in the cat.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.