Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anybody knows of any companys that make good heavy duty non-tube bumpers for an 87 Ram.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
well, I guess the question is: how much are you willing to spend? ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As with all things on my truck the price is probably twice as much as the number i've got in mind ::) , so lets say about 3-4 hundred and see where it goes

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
that cancels out pretty much all non-tube, HD bumpers I know of, that are commercially available. Sorry. Maybe somebody else knows something else. Alternative is something homebuilt.

Try hitting our link section. Maybe you find something there....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
santak said:
that cancels out pretty much all non-tube, HD bumpers I know of, that are commercially available. Sorry. Maybe somebody else knows something else. Alternative is something homebuilt.
Damn whats the range on the ones you've got in mind, for something nice/high quality I could mabey wait a few more weeks and save some more dough.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
well, before I shock you with a number, go look around for yourself:

http://reunel.com
http://buckstop.biz
http://roadarmor.com
http://trailready.com

and don't get distracted. Some might say that it's only for 89 or 90 and up. As I found out, with some this is because they haven't actually fit one on an older truck to this point, though the mounting brackets should fit.

Oh, and I hope you have a good seat when you visit those websites :-\

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
I've always been fond of the Warn Enforcer bumper myself.....

·
Registered
5,581 Posts
warn does have some nice bumpers, and they are cheaper than the ones listed above, but some do come close to that price. i have always like there classic style bumper. here is some info and prices from 4 wheel parts. to see a pic of the bumper, look under ford classic mount, it will give you an idea.

Duane

·
Registered
7,749 Posts
take some pics and/or sketches of what you want to some local fabricators. They will be able to build you a custom one, and they may be cheaper. I know some of the shops I've talked to around here impresed me with their prices when compared to the companies listed previously.

I got an unidentified brand on my truck that is very similar to the Warn Classic without the grillguard. This one is bent slightly and not very attractive, but it makes a great place to stand while working in the engine bay.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks but theres really nothing wrong with my stock ones I was just tinkering with the idea of how I could blow some extra cash I came into recently.

On a side note I hope to start tearing into that T-case this weekend

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
AMC360 said:
Thanks but theres really nothing wrong with my stock ones I was just tinkering with the idea of how I could blow some extra cash I came into recently.

On a side note I hope to start tearing into that T-case this weekend
Extra cash!! What's that.. ?? Some foreign language..

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
I have been trying for sometime to find an aftermarket bumper that I like for my '90 but everything I find that I like is not available for my ap. So a few nights ago I got out the old ruler and drawing tools and did a crude sketch of what I want. So I am going the home made route. By the way, what is good material to use for a homebuilt bumper? I was thinking of using 1/4" plate. And this is going to probably sound hilarious to some of you but I am also shopping for a welder. What is a good one for welding bumpers, roll cages and body patch panels? Thanks

·
Registered
921 Posts
When I made my bumper for my RC I drew up a 1/8 scale model, cut it out and taped it together to get a better look at what I was getting into. The center section of my bumper is made out 3/16 plate with cutouts for tow straps inline with the frame rails. The cutouts are for 4x4 x1/4 wall square tube about 6" long that are welded to 1/4" plate bolted to the frame with 3/4" drop in pins to retain the tow straps, these pins are retained by my push bar mounted above the bumper( pins can be lifted up to hook up a strap but cannot be removed). The top of the bumper is about 6" wide by 10" high by the width of the frame rails. The outer ends of the bumper taper up and back and kind of follow the lines of the frontend and end up about 6" wide and about 4" back from the center of the bumper but flat across the top. These pieces were formed from 11 gauge plate and topped with 1/8" checker plate for traction. the bottom of the bumper is just below the bottom of the frame. Took about a day for me to make, but I have access to a metal brake, 200amp cnc plasma table and Mig and stick welders and an understanding boss. The main thing is to take your time, draw it up till you are happy with the design and then go ahead with the project. Go to a place that does metal work and see what it would cost to form up various pieces that you could weld together. Bumpers are a great place for anyone to practice there fabrication and welding skills. With a little time and patience and forethought it is easy to make something as high quality or better than some of the aftermarket stuff out there and at a fraction of the cost. And in the end when people ask where you bought it you can tell them I BUILT THAT .

1 - 17 of 17 Posts