Dodge RamCharger Central banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cracked my front bump stops on my 79 ramcharger 4x4... they are proving to be very elusive in my quest for more. They are 4" in hight and are bolted. finding a universal one is not working out either. Any one know a place that sells the OEM or a Polyurethane replacement? Thanks. :)

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Is that the stock bracket or is that something fabbed up?  That looks nuts.  Replacement bump stops should be available from any of the usual suspension parts companies or polyurethane bushing companies.  They will probably not look exactly like that one however.  For example the poly bushing kit I put on my '72 Charger had a bump stop in the kit that replaced the factory rubber one that looks like the one in your pic.  The poly version looked a lot flatter and was not much bigger than a Snapple bottle cap.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My concern is the hight. As you can see the "pocket" it is mounted in is recessed.  So you need some hight or you just get metal on metal.. what the stop is supposed to prevent.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Why is the bump stop lowered anyway?  Lift?  That's not a lot of suspension travel before the stop hits the pad.  Looks like it would ride like hell.

·
2013 Ram 1500 2014 Challenger SXT
2,275 Posts
Without modifying the bracket, it appears that replacing the bump stop with another would not last too long.  The rubber appears to be cut by the bracket itself when the rubber is compressed.
Something has to change there.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
pir2 said:
Without modifying the bracket, it appears that replacing the bump stop with another would not last too long. The rubber appears to be cut by the bracket itself when the rubber is compressed.
Something has to change there.
suggestions? :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Elwenil said:
Why is the bump stop lowered anyway? Lift? That's not a lot of suspension travel before the stop hits the pad. Looks like it would ride like hell.
the distance from the stop to the leafsprings is 10". I know they need replacement. just getting what I need to do it all at once. ;D

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Trust me, that bracket is not stock. This is a stock one:

If you look at the pic you can see the shock mount on the frame and the stud and nut that the bumper is held on with at the bottom of the bracket just over the top of the axle U-bolt in the pic. It appears mine is torn off in this pic, lol.

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
My pic is of my '88 but I'm pretty sure even my '74 trucks used the same style shock mount and bump stop bracket.

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
Elwenil said:
Trust me, that bracket is not stock. This is a stock one:
Trust me, it is stock. from the 70's I had that style on my 76.

Here's a pic from BradicusX's build, you can see he has the same style on his 77.

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
Inthego said:
I cracked my front bump stops on my 79 ramcharger 4x4...
try these part numbers, these are from Rock auto.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
Then explain why it has the extra metal hanging down past the bushing mount.  If it's stock, it's modified and therefore, not stock.

·
Administrator
60,477 Posts
The extra metal is a secondary stop, to keep the rubber stop from getting smashed completely, and being useless on the first big bump. look at yours, it has the extra metal also.

here's from both my trucks, one from each side.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
29,559 Posts
I don't think mine has that, but I'll check it tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts